April 25, 2014
The Asian Pacific-American Medical Students Association and Oncology Student Interest Group invite you to Be the Match!
Be the Match, operated by the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP), will be at OHSU Friday, May 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first floor of BICC Library (Biomedical Information Communications Center) to give you the chance to join the NMDP Registry. Add the event to your calendar.
By joining the NMDP Registry you could be the one to save a life of a patient in desperate need of a marrow or blood cell transplant. It's simple and easy to sign up:
- Review the requirements below to confirm that you are eligible to join.
- Bring your driver's license to the drive.
- Bring the name and phone number of one person that does not live with you. BTM will contact these people only if you are identified as a potential match for a patient and we cannot reach you.
To join the Registry, a person must be between the ages of 18 and 44; be willing to help any patient in need; and meet health requirements. These conditions would prevent you from joining the Registry:
- Most heart diseases
- Most cancers
- Chronic lung diseases
- Diabetes requiring insulin or diabetes-related health issues (such as kidney, heart or eye disease)
- Autoimmune disorders such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis
- HIV, or at risk for HIV
- Hepatitis, or at risk for Hepatitis
- Conditions affecting blood clotting or bleeding
- Have had an organ or marrow transplant
- Significant obesity