April 29, 2014
Dear School of Medicine Community:
An important measure of a school's greatness is in the accomplishments of its faculty and alumni. The OHSU School of Medicine excels in this metric; our faculty and alumni make important and lasting contributions to human health and well-being on a daily basis. But it is a natural – and admirable – human tendency to downplay individual recognition, particularly for those of us working in health, education and research which are fundamentally service-oriented and often team-based. Nevertheless, I believe it is important to acknowledge and honor members of our community on a regular basis. We do this in a number of ways throughout the year, and at this time of year, during the spring season of renewal, we announce several annual awards, including the annual Dean's Award.
Since 1983, the School of Medicine Alumni Association has recognized with annual awards alumni who have distinguished themselves in their professions. At the same time, the dean honors a faculty member – regardless of alumni status – who has provided exceptional service to the medical school. I am pleased to announce Sharon Anderson, M.D., as the recipient of the 2014 Dean's Award.
Sharon Anderson is the interim chair of the school's largest department – the Department of Medicine – and has served the school in many capacities since joining our faculty in 1991. Sharon brings an exceptionally clear perspective to her leadership role, and through the years, I have come to depend on her good counsel. She has consistently exemplified leadership traits to which we all should aspire, both at the school and at the Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Sharon is a role model in her steadfast dedication to supporting faculty career advancement. Please join me in congratulating Sharon for this well-deserved recognition.
This year, our Alumni Association has also recognized Jeffrey Cain, M.D., John Adelman, Ph.D., J. Thomas Hoggard, M.D., Mary Burry, M.D., and Maria Rodriguez, M.D., for their accomplishments. Learn about this distinguished group in the article below. Congratulations to all.
I want to thank the School of Medicine Alumni Association Council, in particular Don Girard, M.D., professor, Department of Medicine, and Fran Storrs, M.D., professor emeriti, Department of Dermatology, for overseeing the awards process on behalf of the school. We are grateful for this effort which shines a meaningful light on the work of our 17,000-member alumni community.
In June, the School of Medicine will present another suite of awards – those associated with our 126th commencement ceremony – honoring faculty and students. We will share more information at that time and I hope to see many of you at the ceremony on June 2.
Before closing, I want to highlight two additional events – and another set of awards.
First, OHSU Research Week is May 5-9. For decades now, this event was a student research fair, but three years ago we expanded it to highlight the work and interests of faculty, staff, students and trainees across all schools and units. This year, there is an impressive line-up of keynote speakers, posters, oral presentations, workshops and more. Student and faculty awards for research excellence will be presented during Research Week events.Second, the season's close of the Marquam Hill Lecture Series features two of our faculty members who have influential roles in health care reform, a fundamental driver of change in academic medicine at this time. The joint presentation by John McConnell, Ph.D., and Roger Chou, M.D., titled "Fixing What's Broken: OHSU's Role in Health Reform and Evidence-based Medicine," describes some of the revolutionary changes now underway. The lecture is on May 29 at 7 p.m.
Mark Richardson, M.D., MBA
Dean, OHSU School of Medicine
President, Faculty Practice Plan
Recent past recipients of the Dean's Award
2013: Robert Hitzemann, Ph.D.
2012: James B. Reuler, M.D.
2011: Charles Thomas, M.D.
2010: Lisa Dodson, M.D.
2009: Susan Hayflick, M.D.
2008: Edward Keenan, Ph.D.
2007: Jerris Hedges, M.D.2006: Scott Fields, M.D.
Have a question for the Dean? Send it here
- Match Day and a frozen history »
- Reflections from the surgical suite »
- Diversifying the School of Medicine's research funding portfolio »
- Thank you »
- Honoring our veterans community »
- A September to remember »
- Constancy, in the midst of constant change »
- Jumpstarting educational technology »
- From 27 views, one picture »
- Keeping rural health in mind »
- An update on M.D. Curriculum Transformation »
- Recognizing greatness (and an LCME update) »
- Imagine the future with us »
- Reflections on the past year »
- Power of VA partnership »
- The gift of 125 »
- Next generation education »
- Summer snapshot »
- Maintaining excellence: MD Curriculum Transformation »
- OHSU Research Week - Advocating for research, building community »
- The view of 137 Deans »
- Building on momentum »
- Thank you »
- Diversity 3.0 and our Women’s Stories Project »
- An October to remember »
- The responsibility of the Moore gift and next steps »
- Becoming the 21st Century Office of the Dean »
- Rain, change and automobiles »
- Staking out the middle ground »
- April showers - May flowers »
- Reflections on Match Day and the high bar set by our learners »
- Developing innovative leaders »
- Looking forward to 2011 »
- Studying ourselves »
- The two sides of change - opportunity and anxiety »
- The education effect »
- Keeping reform on the front burner »
- Mission balance »
- Envisioning a "post-Flexner" era for the next century »
- May you live in interesting times »
- Our global community »
- Gratitude to the "first" patient »
- Learning from each other, investing in success »
SPEECHES & PRESS
- Hooding Ceremony 2013
- State-of-the-School 2012 »
- Hooding Ceremony 2012
- Hooding Ceremony 2011 »
- State-of-the-School 2010 »
- White Coat Ceremony 2010 »
- PA Graduation Key Note Address 2010 »
- Within Reach »
- Hooding Ceremony 2010 »
- Testimony before Oregon Senate Health Care, Human Services and Rural Health Policy Committee - March 23, 2011 »
- Testimony before the Oregon House Health Care Committee - February 9, 2011 »
- Testimony before the Oregon House Interim Committee on Business and Labor
Subcommittee on Workforce Development - November 19, 2009 »