The following is an announcement from Dean Mark Richardson
January 31, 2013
I am pleased to announce that Sancy Leachman, M.D., Ph.D., has accepted our offer to serve as the new chair of the Department of Dermatology in the OHSU School of Medicine and director of the Melanoma Research Program at the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute. This appointment is effective immediately, however, Dr. Leachman's transition to OHSU will be in stages, to be completed by July 1, 2013.
Dr. Leachman joins us from the University of Utah Health Sciences Center where she is a professor in the Department of Dermatology. She is also director of the multidisciplinary Melanoma and Cutaneous Oncology Program at Huntsman Cancer Institute.
Dr. Leachman is a gifted and experienced clinician, scientist and educator. Her clinical interests include skin cancers, especially melanoma, pigmentary disorders, and genetic disorders that involve the skin. Her research examines the role of genetic predisposition and differential gene expression in the development of melanoma, with an emphasis on the familial melanoma syndrome. Dr. Leachman is widely published, and her research program is funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense and others. Dr. Leachman received both her medical and doctorate degrees from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, and she completed residency and fellowship training at Yale.
During the course of her visits to OHSU, Dr. Leachman let me know that the long history of the department (stemming back to 1922) and strong reputation of the dermatology faculty were primary reasons for her enthusiasm to move into this leadership role, citing also the national reputation of the residency program and the institution's commitment to advancing translational research. She also noted, as many people do who visit our campus, the unique collegiality of our faculty.
Initially, Dr. Leachman intends to work closely with faculty, residents, alumni and others within the OHSU dermatology community to develop a unified vision for the department, integrating research, education and clinical care, around which future initiatives and planning will coalesce.
I want to extend my thanks to Alfons Krol, M.D., for his service as interim chair since July 1, 2010. Dr. Krol has been a creative and steadfast leader for the department during this transition period. I am deeply grateful for his service to the school. I also want to thank all the people who participated in the search committee, listed below, and the co-chairs of the search committee Paul Flint, M.D., and Rosie Sears, Ph.D. I appreciate your service to our school.
Please join me in welcoming Sancy Leachman to OHSU.
Mark Richardson, MD, MBA
Dean, OHSU School of Medicine
President, Faculty Practice Plann
Dermatology Chair Search Committee
- Paul W. Flint, M.D., Committee Co-Chair, Professor and Chair of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- Rosalie C. Sears, Ph.D., Committee Co-Chair, Associate Professor of Molecular and Medical Genetics
- Jeffrey L. Koh, M.D., Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine, and Pediatrics
- Charles D. Lopez, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology, and Cell and Developmental Biology
- Phoebe Rich, M.D., Oregon Dermatology and Research Center, Adjunct Professor of Dermatology at OHSU
- Scott Turner, M.A., Associate Hospital Administrator, Pediatric Administration
- Tomasz M. Beer, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Deputy Director, OHSU Knight Cancer Institute