Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office
With Bart Johnson, DDS, MS
Bring your staff and be ready when the next dental emergency knocks at your door.
Date: Friday, January 10, 2014
Time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Credit: 7 CE hrs
Tuition: $ 275 Dentist / $125 StaffLocation: Oregon Medical Association OMEF Event Center; 11740 SW 68th Parkway, Portland, OR 97223
Despite careful planning, medical emergencies can happen at any time. These situations can be unnerving and this course will help build your capacity to address them with confidence. Dr. Johnson has developed a fun and thoroughly entertaining course that will help you feel more comfortable administering medications and operating life-saving equipment. We encourage doctors to bring their staff so the whole office will be prepared when a medical emergency comes knocking at your door.
- Learn what medications and equipment you'll want at your disposal during an emergency
- Know the "when" and "how" to use each drug and piece of equipment in your kit″
- Help you and your staff become more comfortable managing emergency situations
- Universal Treatment
- Pharmacology and doses of Epinephrine, Ephedrine, Atropine, Nitroglycerin, Albuterol, Aspirin, Diphenhydramine, Ranitidine, Steroids, Oral Glucose, Dextrose, Glucagon, Ondansetron, Flumazenil, and Naloxone
- Delivery routes (oral, IM, IV, IO, SQ, transpulmonary, others)
- Equipment suggestions (diagnostics, airway adjuncts, suction, etc.)
- Brief discussion of when to have advanced medications and equipment
- Setting up an office with a medical emergency protocol, a simple but effective medical emergency kit, and what drugs and equipment to have in the kit
- Algorithms for various maladies
Speaker: Barton S. Johnson, DDS, MS is the Director of the General Practice Residency program at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle. He is a co-owner of Seattle Special Care Dentistry, a private practice focusing on the care of medically complex patients. Bart is a Diplomate of the American Board of Special Care Dentistry, and a Fellow in the American Association of Hospital Dentists.