The Department of Restorative Dentistry provides a large proportion of the predoctoral and graduate teaching of the dental school, and maintains a high level of scholarly activity in dental and educational research. Read about us
News & Announcements
Congratulations to our outstanding faculty for their great accomplishments in 2017!
- Outstanding Faculty Award 2016/2017 received from OHSU DMD Class of 2020
- ADEA/AAL Faculty of Color Tuition Scholarships for Professional Development: 2017 ADEA Leadership Institute Phase V Leadership Development Tuition scholarship –ADEA Summer Program for Emerging Academic Leaders.
- Newly elected President of the Oregon Board of Dentistry
- Helped develop a process to engineer artificial blood vessels which are used to generate teeth, possibly changing the way root canal treatments will be done in the future. Study published in the journal Scientific Reports
- Completed term as President of the American Association for Dental Research
- Academy of Operative Dentistry's Award of Excellence at their annual meeting in Chicago in February 2017. The Award of Excellence was established in 1986 to recognize outstanding contributions to the discipline of Operative Dentistry in areas of, but not limited to: Service to the Academy;Teaching of operative dentistry at academic and continuing education levels;Promotion of excellence in operative dentistry at a national or international level.
- 2017 ADEA Leadership Institute Phase V Leadership Development Tuition scholarship –ADEA Summer Program for Emerging Academic Leaders.
- Completed term as President of American Academy of Restorative Dentistry
- Appointed to the Alumni Association Board
- "Outstanding Service Award" from Compassion Connect in recognition of his 5 years of encouraging and supervising OHSU dental students at Compassion Clinics.
- Recipient of Fellowship in the International College of Dentists. Fellowship in the College is extended by invitation only. The Fellowship is awarded to dentists who have demonstrated, "outstanding professional achievement, meritorious service and dedication to the continued progress of dentistry for the benefit of humankind."
Dental Students Volunteer at Compassion Clinic
In April 2017, thirty-two OHSU dental students volunteered to help provide dental service at the Compassions Clinics at Tigard High School and Clackamas Community College - Harmony Community Campus.
Department of Restorative Dentistry faculty, Dennis Nicola, DDS, FAGD, and Thad Langford, DDS, FAGD, supervised OHSU dental students providing treatment at the Dental Assisting Clinic at the Harmony Community Campus in Milwaukie, OR. The dental students provided care with the Clackamas Community College Dental Students assisting. This was the second collaboration at this location since November 2016.
The OHSU Dental Students providing dental treatment at the Harmony Road Campus:
DS4s: Vincent Kirse, Matthew Martin, Sita Ping, and Anne Purcell.
DS3s: Stephen Erwin, Jacob Goertz, Paul Klinghorn, Steven Knapp. Tylor Brekke, Daniel Mabaet, Eddie Ramires, Krista Garchar, Sahar Jaferian, and Fadi Shaya.
OHSU Dental Students at Tigard High School:
DS2s: Mikayla Ayala, Samantha Ayala. Tracy Trieu, Tuan Tran, Zachary White, Corinna Ma, William Rysenga, Kathy Trinh, Kristy Lin, Kerri Smith, Paul Lamoreau, Taylor Hunt, Rachael Hass, Casey Thien, Matthew Oda, and Haley Volkenburg.
DS1: Bradley Norman
Note: DS2 Tysa Judd, RDH, provided dental hygiene services as she is a registered dental hygienist.