Pathology & Radiology
The faculty of the Department of Pathology and Radiology teach didactic courses in general pathology, oral pathology, radiology and patient evaluation to dental students and dental graduate students. Clinical instruction in medical evaluation, oral pathology and oral medicine is also provided. Other services include a surgical biopsy service and clinical oral medicine consults for students and the community. In addition, the department has academic affiliation and clinical interaction with the OHSU Department of Anatomic Pathology.
Our services include the OHSU Oral Pathology Biopsy Service and clinical oral medicine consults for students and the community. The biopsy service encompasses:
- Biopsy kits with formalin solution
- Zeus/Michel's solution can be provided for direct immunofluorescence studies with UPS prepaid two-day shipping labels and Lab Paks.
- Cytology kits can be provided (typically for the diagnosis of candidiasis or herpes simplex). *
- Pathological diagnoses faxed or mailed within 24 hours of soft tissue specimen receipt, with exceptions for hard tissue, special stains and DIF studies.
- Consultation with pathologist.
- Most medical insurance carriers accepted.
*While the department does not receive microbiologic specimens for culture, it does receive exfoliative cytology specimens. These specimens are scrapings from the mucosal surface that are then examined under the microscope with special stains. Typically, we suggest that exfoliative cytology be used to diagnose candidiasis and more rarely herpes simplex.
Connie-Marie Sanders, Administrative Coordinator
Jessica Frieboes, Medical Transcriptionist (Diagnostic Laboratory)
For more information, please contact the Department of Pathology & Radiology at: