Pulpal Regeneration 2010
Objectives and Goals
- Discuss the literature that lead to the rationale for developing revascularization and regenerative endodontic treatment protocols
- Discuss regenerative endodontic and revascularization treatment approaches and their rationale for immature versus mature teeth
- Discuss the current evidence, and future evidence, needed for adoption of clinical protocols utilized in regenerative endodontics/revascularization procedures
- Be familiar with the AAE Regenerative Endodontics website and database http://www.aae.org/members/revascularizationsurvey.htm
Historical (long articles – but try to keep these abstracts brief)
1. Nygaard-Ostby B. The role of the blood clot in endodontic therapy. An experimental histologic study. Acta Odontol Scand 1961;19:322-53.
2. Nygaard-Ostby B, Hjortdal O. Tissue formation in the root canal following pulp removal. Scand J Dent Res. 1971;79(5):333-49.
3. Myers WC, Fountain SB. Dental pulp regeneration aided by blood and blood substitutes after experimentally induced periapical infection. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1974 Mar;37(3):441-50.
4. Skoglund A, Tronstad L, Wallenius K. A microangiographic study of vascular changes in replanted and autotransplanted teeth of young dogs. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1978 Jan;45(1):17-28.
Triple antibiotic paste
5. Sato I, Ando-Kurihara N, Kota K, Iwaku M, Hoshino E. Sterilization of infected root-canal dentine by topical application of a mixture of ciprofloxacin, metronidazole and minocycline in situ. Int Endod J 1996;29:118–24.
6. Hoshino E, Kurihara-Ando N, Sato I, et al. In-vitro antibacterial susceptibility of bacteria taken from infected root dentine to a mixture of ciprofloxacin, metronidazole and minocycline. Int Endod J 1996;29:125–30.
7. Yanpiset K, Trope M. Pulp revascularization of replanted immature dog teeth after different treatment methods. Endod Dent Traumatol 2000;16:211–7.
8. Laureys W, Beele H, Cornelissen R, Dermaut L. Revascularization after cryopreservation and autotransplantation of immature and mature apicoectomized teeth. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2001 Apr;119(4):346-52.
9. Ritter AL, Ritter AV, Murrah V, Sigurdsson A, Trope M. Pulp revascularization in replanted immature dog teeth after treatment with minocycline and doxycycline assessed by laser Doppler flowmetry, radiography, and histology. Dent Traumatol 2004;20:75–84.
10.Windley W, Teixeira F, Levin L, Sigurdsson A, Trope M. Disinfection of immature teeth with a triple antibiotic paste. J Endod 2005;31:439–43.
11.Thibodeau B, Teixeira F, Yamauchi M, Caplan DJ, Trope M. Pulp revascularization of immature dog teeth with apical periodontitis. J Endod 2007;33:680–9.
12.Wang XJ, Thibodeau B, Trope M, Lin LM, Huang G. Histologic characterization of regenerated tissues in canal space after the revitalization/revascularization procedure of immature dog teeth with apical periodontitis. J Endod 2010;34:56-63.
Human clinical case series / case reports
13.Iwaya S, Ikawa M, Kubota M. Revascularization of an immature permanent tooth with apical periodontitis and sinus tract. Dent Traumatol 2001;17:185–7.
14.Banchs F, Trope M. Revascularization of immature permanent teeth with apical periodontitis: new treatment protocol? J Endod 2004;30:196–200.
15.Cotti E, Mereu M, Lusso D. Regenerative treatment of an immature, traumatized tooth with apical periodontitis: report of a case. J Endod. 2008 May;34(5):611-6.
16.Jung IY, Lee SJ, Hargreaves KM. Biologically based treatment of immature permanent teeth with pulpal necrosis: a case series. J Endod. 2008 Jul;34(7):876-87.
17.Reynolds K, Johnson JD, Cohenca N. Pulp revascularization of necrotic bilateral bicuspids using a modified novel technique to eliminate potential coronal discolouration: a case report. Int Endod J. 2009 Jan;42(1):84-92.
18.Chueh LH, Ho YC, Kuo TC, Lai WH, Chen YH, Chiang CP. Regenerative endodontic treatment for necrotic immature permanent teeth. J Endod. 2009 Feb;35(2):160-4.
19.Ding RY, Cheung GS, Chen J, Yin XZ, Wang QQ, Zhang CF. Pulp revascularization of immature teeth with apical periodontitis: a clinical study. J Endod. 2009 May;35(5):745-9.
20.Bose R, Nummikoski P, Hargreaves K. A retrospective evaluation of radiographic outcomes in immature teeth with necrotic root canal systems treated with regenerative endodontic procedures. J Endod. 2009 Oct;35(10):1343-9.
In vitro studies
21.Saito T, Ogawa M, Hata Y, Bessho K. Acceleration effect of human recombinant bone morphogenic protein-2 on differentiation of human pulp cells into odontoblasts. J Endod 2004;330:205–8.
22.Sonoyama W, Liu Y, Yamaza T, Tuan RS, Wang S, Shi S, Huang GT. Characterization of the apical papilla and its residing stem cells from human immature permanent teeth: a pilot study. J Endod. 2008 Feb;34(2):166-71.
23.Mullane EM, Dong Z, Sedgley CM, Hu JC, Botero TM, Holland GR, Nör JE. Effects of VEGF and FGF2 on the revascularization of severed human dental pulps. J Dent Res. 2008;87(12):1144-8.
Hargreaves KM, Giesler T, Henry M, Wang Y. Regeneration potential of the young permanent tooth: what does the future hold? J Endod. 2008 Jul;34(7 Suppl):S51-6.