FAQs/Policies/Fees for Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Services
OHSU Faculty, Residents, Staff and Students:
How long does it take to receive items?
Interlibrary loan request: Allow up to a week to receive an article. Allow up to three weeks to receive a loan. (Note: time frames listed above are maximum time frames. Typical arrival time for articles is between 1-3 days).
Document delivery request: Allow up to 48 hours to receive a scanned PDF.
How much does it cost?
Interlibrary loan request (items that we do not own in the OHSU Library collection): OHSU faculty, residents, staff and students receive 10 free requests per calendar year (faculty/residents/staff) or school quarter (students). After the 10 free request cap has been reached, the following fees apply: $10 per request for faculty, residents and staff; $2 per request for students.
Document delivery request (items owned in print in the OHSU Library collection): $10 per request for OHSU-affiliated faculty, residents, staff and students. Document delivery service is not part of the free ILL program. A rush service is an additional $10 for faculty, residents, staff and students.
What is the difference between document delivery service and interlibrary loan?
Interlibrary loan service provides users with requested items not owned in the OHSU Library collection. OHSU faculty, residents, staff and students receive 10 free requests per calendar year (faculty/residents/staff) or school quarter (students).
Document delivery service provides scanned PDFs from items owned in print in the OHSU Library collection and costs $10 per article. Users may submit an online request (using Library Search) for a print item to be pulled from the shelf and placed on hold to then copy or scan themselves.
How do I pay?
Once you've reached the 10 free ILL request cap or have requested a rush or document delivery service:
Faculty, residents and staff may pay with a departmental alias and FAID or request a monthly invoice be sent to them via email.
Students pay via their OHSU student account.
- How will my article arrive?
Interlibrary loan and document delivery requests: We provide all article requests as electronic PDFs. After signing in to your interlibrary loan/document delivery account, select the 'view fulfilled PDFs' link located in the navigation menu to the left of your screen. PDFs will remain 'live' in your account for approximately 30 days. After this time, they will be deleted from our server and cannot be retrieved.
- I need my item ASAP, how can I get it?
Interlibrary loan request: Articles are guaranteed within 24-48 hours (based on departmental business hours) only when a 'rush' service is placed on a request. A rush service is an additional $10 for faculty, residents, staff and students.
For books needed within a week, please contact the department directly. We do not offer rush service for textbooks.
Document delivery request: Articles are guaranteed within 4 hours (based on departmental business hours) only when a 'rush' service is placed on a request. A rush service is an additional $10 for faculty, residents, staff and students.
- I'm a distance user (campus is not located in Portland), what services am I eligible for?
Borrowed physical materials are mailed to distance users free of charge. A return mailing label is also provided.
Distance users are also eligible for free document delivery service (PDFs of scanned print material owned within the OHSU collection are provided for free).
- How long is my requested PDF available for viewing?
Requested PDFs are available for 30 days from the date of posting;after that time they are no longer retrievable. It is highly suggested that you download or save the PDF to your desktop prior to the 30 days.
- Where do I pick up incoming physical materials?
In your request, you will have specified where you wanted to pick up your items, either the BICC Library Service Desk or the LRC Library Service Desk. Campus mailing items can be a possibility, though users are fully responsible for any items lost or damaged in the mail.
- How long can I keep physical items?
Loan periods vary depending on the providing library. Typical checkout periods range between 2-4 weeks with one 2-4 week renewal. You can contact the department with renewal requests or sign in to your interlibrary loan/document delivery account and select the 'view/renew checked out items' link located in the navigation menu to the left of your screen.
- Are there limitations or restrictions on what I can request?
We will do our best to obtain most items, though we do not fulfill leisure material requests (see Summit). If you aren't sure whether we can get something, submit a request and we will let you know if we are unable to acquire it.
- Can I request an e-book?
We are unable to fill e-book requests via interlibrary loan at this time (libraries haven't figured out how to 'loan' these items due to licensing issues). However, some e-books are priced quite reasonably and might be a nice addition to our library's collection. You can request that the Library purchase a title using this form: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/library/books-journals/purchase.cfm
- Why was my item cancelled?
Though we always send an email explaining why we cancelled your request, it still may not always be clear. Below are the most common reasons for cancellation:
1. Cannot obtain item by your deadline: Article turnaround time can range between 1-7 days. For books, the time varies depending on how the providing library sends the item (generally between 1 and 3 weeks). If you need an item any sooner than typical arrival times but you are unwilling to pay a $10 rush fee, we will cancel your request.
2. Found PDF for free online: The item was either found online from a non-OHSU resource or the item was found because it is a part of the OHSU's online journal subscription collection.
3. Not willing to pay/this item can be requested through the catalog/not an ILL request: Either you have requested an interlibrary loan item over your allotted 10 free and have not indicated you are willing to pay the regular fee or you have requested something available in our print collection (document delivery) but have not indicated that you are willing to pay the regular fee. Document delivery service is not part of the free ILL program. (Unless you are a distance education user, scanned PDFs from items within our print collection cost $10 per item regardless of whether you are OHSU faculty, resident, staff or a student).
- What is the status of my request?
Awaiting Copyright Clearance: request is awaiting internal system verification before being ordered.
Awaiting Request Processing: request has been verified but has not yet been ordered.
Request Sent: request has been sent to potential library lenders.
Delivered to Web: request has been fulfilled and is available as an electronic PDF within the user's interlibrary loan/document delivery account.
Request Finished: requested item has been fulfilled and is now complete (i.e. PDFs have expired from our server or physically loaned items have been returned to lending libraries).
Awaiting Special Handling: requested item is complex and departmental staff is reviewing.
Checked Out to Customer: physical loan has arrived and available for pick up or has been mailed (distance students).
- Can I view old requests?
Request histories go back approximately one year.
Please see the Loansome Doc service policy page for more information.