SDI/Auto Alert/Current Awareness
How to: Use Ovid's Current Awareness (SDI) Feature
SDI's (Selected Dissemination of Information)
SDI's are saved searches that are run automatically for you when the database is updated, and the recently added citations are e-mailed directly to you. SDI's do not pick up the most recently published references; there is a short lag time between publication and entry into the database.
You will need an individual Ovid account to save search strategies or to use the SDI/Auto Alert feature. The SDI/Auto Alert feature is only available to OHSU faculty, students and staff.
Saving SDI's via Ovid Online
At OHSU workstations access to Ovid Online is available. You must use the "Start Ovid" button that requires you to use your individual Ovid account.
- Perform a search using appropriate search terms and limits to define your search.
Note: Do not limit to Latest update.
- Once a search has been successfully performed, click the Save Search History button on the Main Search Page and Save Current Search screen will appear.
- Select Auto Alert (SDI) Service from the following Save Search options:
Temporarily (24 hours)- to save your search history for 24 hours. After this time, it will be erased automatically.
Permanently-to save your search for an indefinite period of time, or until you delete it yourself.
Auto Alert (SDI) Service- to save your search to run automatically with results e-mailed directly to you when the database is updated.
- Search Name- Enter a short, one-word name only for your search history.
- Comment- Enter relevant comments related to your search. [optional
- Put your full e-mail address in the Recipient's Email Address box and a short subject in the E-Mail Subject box.
- Click on the appropriate buttons in the SDI Output Format section to choose the format display and sorting capability for your search.
- Click on Save Search.
- Although we have had only one report of Ovid losing saved searches, it's a good idea to make a note of your strategy so that you can replicate it in future if need be.
You may view your saved searches at any time by clicking on the Run Saved Search button from the Main Search screen. From the Run a Saved Search screen, you may run, display, or delete any of your currently saved searches.
When the Ovid database of choice is updated, you will receive an e-mail message containing the recently added citations.