Trials of Evidence-based Point of Care Tools for Nursing
03/03/11 Portland, Ore.
The OHSU Library is currently gathering feedback on database trials to support a request for funding for an evidence-based point-of-care tool for nursing.
Last month, we started a new trial of Mosby’s Nursing Consult: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/library/about/whats-new/mosbys-nursing-consult-trial.cfm.
The Mosby’s trial ends March 18th. If you haven’t tested out Nursing Consult, please do and complete the short feedback survey, also linked from the page above.
This month we’re also starting a trial of a comparable product, Lippincott’s Nursing Advisor. Trial access is available at http://advisor.lww.com.liboff.ohsu.edu, through April 15th, 2011.
Please consider providing feedback regarding this product as well: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/STTBYQB
The surveys are brief, but will provide invaluable information to guide us in our purchasing decisions!
From the vendor:
Lippincott’s Nursing Advisor (LNA) is an institutional online decision support application that offers evidence-based clinical reference information to nurses at the point of care. The primary function of LNA is to give the nurses quick and efficient access to specific information at the point of care and to provide easy access to related content, including more in-depth information.
The program provides immediate access to core topics that nurses “need to know” and reference daily at the point of care: diseases, drugs, diagnostic tests, treatments, and assessment assistance in interpretation of signs and symptoms…the entries in each content set follow a specific but consistent and well-proven format, giving users an easy way to quickly locate the information they need. LNA could assist OHSU nurses to meet the goals of improving the quality of patient care, decrease variability in clinical nursing practice, and improve the access to evidence-based practice information for nurses.
Lippincott’s Nursing Advisor features:
* Over 2400 monographs in areas of Diseases, Diagnostic Tests, Treatments, Signs & Symptoms, Drugs, and Nursing Diagnosis-based Care Plans.
* Links in body of each entry and in right sidebar to related entries in all Lippincott Nursing Advisor content sets allow user to very quickly and easily access additional information on related topics. For example, when a specific drug is mentioned in a disease entry, a click on the drug name will link the user to the drug entry in the drug content set in Lippincott’s Nursing Advisor.
* “Evidence-based references” support all diseases and treatment monographs. Evidence-based references are currently available for 100% of diagnostic tests.
* 3,996 MedFacts Medication Patient Handouts
* Full-color images from Atlas of Pathophysiology, 2e
* Links to Pub Med for journal abstracts and articles
* Evidence-based guidelines are in each entry from scores of nursing journals, HCRQ, society standards, and regulatory standards
* Access to National Guidelines Clearinghouse
For those customers, like OHSU, who have a license to online content through OVID technologies, they have the ability to link to those full text references.
Updates to Lippincott's Nursing Advisor will continue to meet The Joint Commission's standards of nursing.