OHSU

New History Exhibit in OHSU Library

04/29/10  Portland, OR

uoms 

Now on display in the main lobby of the OHSU Library is the latest exhibit of materials from the Historical Collections & Archives. "A Persistent Vision: Notes on the Origin of Medical Education in the Pacific Northwest" features handwritten class, lecture and clinical notes dated from as early as 1880 from Harvard Medical School, Willamette University Medical Department, Cincinnati Medical College and the University of Oregon Medical School. Also included are notes and study cards on courses given in chemistry, dermatology, obstetrics, medicine, surgery, psychiatry, pharmacology, materia medica, obstetrics, otolaryngology, surgery, orthopedics, therapeutics, and public health. Materials from the First Class Collection,  a collection of textbooks used by students in the first session of the University of Oregon Medical School in 1887, will be on display, as will various diplomas, certificates and licenses dating from as early as 1863. The exhibit will run through the end of May 2010. Questions and comments about the exhibit can be directed to Archivist Karen Peterson (peterska@ohsu.edu or 503-494-3239) or Sara Piasecki, Head of Historical Collections & Archives (piasecki@ohsu.edu or 503-418-2287).