Casey Eye Institute Archives come to Historical Collections & Archives
04/01/10 Portland, OR
OHSU Historical Collections & Archives has recently received twenty-two boxes of historical materials and several large artifacts from the OHSU Casey Eye Institute, home of the Dept. of Ophthalmology since 1991. The department, which began in 1945 with the arrival of Kenneth C. Swan, M.D., runs the ophthalmological training programs, provides eye care to adults and children (in the Elks Children's Eye Clinic), and conducts cutting-edge research.
The transfer contains records, books, artifacts, photographs, videos, framed certificates, architectural plans, and wall plaques. The materials cover the period from the 1950s to the present, and include records of the Oregon Ophthalmological Alumni Association, information on the construction of the Casey Eye Institute building, and the history of the development of the Elks Eye Clinic, as well as other topics. This collection is complemented by the Kenneth Carl Swan Papers (Accession 2007-011), which contains forty-three linear feet of original research, correspondence, photographs, and artifacts belonging to the thirty-three year chairman of the department.
The largest piece of equipment to come with the CEI transfer was, in fact, Dr. Swan's mounted binocular ophthalmoscope, which he is shown using in this photograph. Swan and fellow University of Oregon Medical School faculty member John Raaf, conducted research on eye changes following carotid ligation using this apparatus (published in Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 1951; 49: 435–444).
Questions about this collection or any of the materials in the archives can be directed to Sara Piasecki, Head, Historical Collections & Archives (email@example.com or 503-418-2287) or Karen Peterson, Archivist (firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-494-3239).