- Directs daily operations and long-term development of the OHSU Library's public service and collections activities
- Manages 18 FTE including faculty, classified staff and students in liaison services, access services, collections and outreach programs
- Manages the library's liaison program
- Creates goals and objectives for the library, department, and overall strategic planning process
- Collaborates with campus, community and regional partners to provide services to the OHSU education, research and clinical communities
- Integrates information literacy, data literacy, clinical informatics, and evidence based practice into the curricula of the university with the liaison librarians and teaching faculty
- Serves as the liaison librarian to the School of Medicine's Undergraduate Medical Education program
- MLS: Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, May 1995
- BA: English with Certificate in Women’s Studies, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, May 1993
- Fellowship: NLM/AAHSL Leadership Fellows Program, 2015-2016
- 2012-2013 - Head of Information and Access Services, Hirsh Health Sciences Library, Tufts University, Boston MA
- 2003-2012 - Head of Education and Outreach Department/Curriculum Librarian, Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University, Chicago IL
- 2001-2003 - Head of Learning Resources Center/Curriculum Librarian, Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University, Chicago IL
- 2000-2001 - Education Librarian, Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University, Chicago IL
- 1999-2000 - Instructional Services Librarian and Natural Science Liaison, Pepperdine University, Payson Library, Malibu, CA
- 1998-2000 - Reference Librarian (part-time position), California State University, Los Angeles, CA
- 1998-1999 - Reference/Instructional Services Librarian (fixed-‐term contract position), University of Southern California, Science & Engineering Library, Los Angeles, CA
- 1997-1998 - Information Specialist (fixed‐term contract position), University of Southern California, Norris Medical Library, Los Angeles, CA
- 1995-1997 - Reference Librarian, Georgetown University Medical Center Library, Washington, DC
- Interprofessional Education Curriculum, OHSU, 2013-present
- Undergraduate Medical Curriculum, EBM and Informatics, OHSU School of Medicine, 2015-present
- Problem Based Learning/EBM Curriculum, Tufts School of Medicine, 2012-2013
- Information Literacy Unit Director, Medical Decision Making I, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 2001‐2012
- Problem Based Learning Curriculum, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 2002‐2012
- Faculty Development programs, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, PBL Faculty Information Management, Blackboard, Copyright, TurningPoint Audience Response System, EndNote and Creating Posters using PowerPoint, 2001‐2012
- Adjunct Faculty, Dominican University, School of Library and Information Science, River Forest, IL, Health Sciences Librarianship, LIS780, 2006‐2008
Selected University and Library ServiceOregon Health & Science University
- UME Curriculum Committee, 2014-present
- UME Curriculum Committee Resources Subcommittee, Chair, 2016-present
- Library Collection Development Committee, 2013-present
- Library Web Committee, 2015-present (2015-2016 Chair)
- School of Medicine Curriculum Committee, 2012-2013
- University Scholarly Communications Team, 2012-2013
- University Collections and Licensing Committee, 2012-2013
- PBL Steering Committee, 2006-2012
- Medical Education Research Group, 2005-2008
- M1/M2 Course Directors Committee, 2003-2012
- School of Medicine Curriculum Committee, 2007-2012
- University Libraries Scholarly Communications Committee, 2008-2011
- MD Curriculum Renewal Steering Committee, 2010-2012
Committees and Professional Organizations
- Medical Library Association, 1998‐present
- MLA Membership Committee, 2015-present
- MLA Technology Advisory Committee, 2012‐2015
- Educational Media and Technologies Section/MLA, 2001‐present (2004 Chair-‐Elect, 2005 Chair)
- Pacific Northwest Chapter/Medical Library Association, 2016-present
- Public Services Section/MLA, 2005-2007
- Midwest Chapter/Medical Library Association, 2000-2007
- Doody’s Core Title List Selector, Histology/Cell Biology and Physiology, 2004-2008
- Central Group on Educational Affairs, Libraries in Medical Education, 2007-2012
- Hersh W, Biagioli F, Scholl G, Gold J, Mohan V, Kassakian
S, Kerns S, Gorman P. Competencies
to Competence: Model, Approach, and Lessons Learned from Implementing a
Clinical Informatics Curriculum for Medical Students. In: Shachak R, and
Borycki (eds.) ed. Health Professionals' Education in the Age of Clinical
Information Systems, Mobile Computing and Social Networks: Elsevier; 2017. In Press
- Kerns, S. Library Services and Spaces: Addressing the
Needs of a Changing Campus. OLA Quarterly. 2016;22(1):15-18.
- Kerns SC. Medical Education and Mobile Technology: The Next 100 Years. Against the Grain. Dec 2011/Jan 2012;23(6):32,34.
- O’Dwyer L, Kerns SC. Evolution of an Information Literacy Curriculum for Third-‐Year Medical Students. Med Ref Serv Q. 2011 Jul;30(3):221-32.
- Kerns SC. Technological Tools for Library User Education: One Library’s Experience. Med Ref Serv Q. 2007 Fall;26(3):105-14.
- Walton L, Kerns S, Munson K, O'Dwyer L, Powell C, Shedlock J. The Impact of the Web on Reference. Hypothesis. 2002 Summer;16(2):8-9.
- Kerns SC. Information Literacy Instruction: Theory and Practice. [Book Review] J Med Libr Assoc. 2002 July;90(3): 351.
- Kerns SC. Information Management Competencies: Partnering with Faculty to Assess Information Literacy Skills. 2nd Biennial Kathleen A. Zar Symposium, University of Chicago. Chicago, IL. June 3, 2011
- Kerns SC. [Invited Speaker] 2011 Updates from the Medical Library: Helpful Tips for Practicing Physicians. 47th Annual The Year in Internal Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine. Chicago, IL. January 19, 2011.
- Kerns SC. [Invited Speaker] Screentastic! Screencasting for Librarians. Reference Librarians Association Continuing Education Committee, North Suburban Library System Sponsored Panel Presentation. Wheeling, IL. April 22, 2010. http://www.slideshare.net/sckerns/screencasting-‐for-‐ an-‐academic-‐library-‐audience
- Kerns SC, Rethlefsen M, Rusch R. [Panel Discussion] New Pressures on Professionalism: Social Networking and Its Impact on Medical Students and Education. Central Group on Educational Affairs, Libraries in Medical Education Sponsored SIG Panel Discussion. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. March 27, 2009.
- Kerns SC, Altman M, Khandelwal S, Powell C. [Panel Discussion] Outcomes Assessment: Librarian/Faculty Partnerships in Medical Education. Central Group on Educational Affairs, Libraries in Medical Education Sponsored SIG Panel Discussion. Ohio State University. Columbus, OH. April 12, 2008.
- Kerns SC, Garcia P. Teaching and Assessing Information Literacy in an OB-‐GYN Clerkship. [Presentation] Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics Faculty Development Seminar. Amelia Island, FL. January 7, 2007.
- Kerns SC. Instructional Technology: Leading Trends in User Education. [Keynote Speaker] Association of North Carolina Health and Science Libraries Spring Meeting. UNC-‐Charlotte. Charlotte, NC. May 5, 2006.
- Kerns SC, Berendsen M, O’Dwyer L. Creating Web Tutorials Using Flash. [Presentation] Chicago Area Instruction Librarians’ Group. Roosevelt University. Chicago, IL. February 13, 2004.
- Walton L, Kerns SC, Munson K, O'Dwyer L, Powell C, Shedlock J. The Impact of the Web on Reference, [Paper Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. Dallas, TX. May 17-22, 2002.
- Kerns SC, Dana
T. Scholarly Projects: The Librarian's Role in Undergraduate Medical
Education Curriculum Design. [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting.
Toronto, ON. May 13-18, 2016.
- O’Dwyer L, Kerns SC. Creating Connections: Information Literacy in the Clinical Curriculum. [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. Washington, DC. May 22-26, 2010.
- Frisque M, Kappes R, Shedlock J, Nickisch Duggan H, Brucker J, Kerns SC, Munson K. Infusing New Life Into Old Spaces. [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. Honolulu, HI. May 15-20, 2009.
- Nickisch Duggan H, Shedlock J, Kerns SC. Results of a Survey on Organizational Flattening in Academic Health Sciences Libraries. [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. Honolulu, HI. May 15-20, 2009.
- Brucker J, Kerns SC, Walton LJ, Shedlock J. A Catalyst for Technological Transformation: The Library’s Role in Instructional Technology. [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. Phoenix, AZ. May 19-24, 2006.
- Berendsen M, Kerns SC. Enhancing E-‐Learning Through the Use of Training Videos. [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. Phoenix, AZ. May 19-24, 2006.
- O’Dwyer L, Kerns SC, Berendsen M, Brucker J. Where’s your Evidence? Designing and Creating an Interactive Evidence-‐based Medicine (EBM) Tutorial. [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. San Antonio, TX. May 13-18, 2005.
- Munson K, Walton L, O’Dwyer L, Kerns SC, Berendsen M. Connectivity and Computer Questions: Improving Practice Through Question Analysis. [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. Washington, DC. May 22-26, 2004.
- Kerns SC, O’Dwyer L, Walton L, Munson K, Berendsen M, Brucker J, Frisque M, Hunt S. Developing and Interactive PubMed Tutorial: One Library’s Experience. [Poster Presentation] MC/MLA Annual Meeting. Indianapolis, IN. September 19-22, 2003.
- Kerns SC. Collaborating with Faculty: Integrating the Library into the Medical School Curriculum. [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. May 2-7, 2003.
- Kerns SC, O’Dwyer L, Munson K. Marketing an Education Program to an Academic Medical Center. [Poster Presentation] MC/MLA Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, MN. September 27-October 1, 2002.
- O’Dwyer L, Kerns SC, Walton L, Munson K, Powell C. Is your web site as usable as it should be? [Poster Presentation] MC/MLA Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, MN. September 27-October 1, 2002.
- Kerns SC, O’Dwyer L. Marketing a Health Sciences Library's Education Program [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. Dallas, TX. May 17-22, 2002.
- O’Dwyer L, Kerns SC, Walton L, Munson K, Powell C. Usability Testing of a Health Sciences Library Web Site [Poster Presentation] MLA Annual Meeting. Dallas, TX. May 17-22, 2002.
- Kerns SC, Gillaspy M. Roots and Wings for End Users [Poster Presentation] MC/MLA Annual Meeting. Milwaukee, WI. October 5-8, 2001.