- Support the education and research needs of the faculty, staff, and students of the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health, OHSU Physician Assistant Program, OHSU Graduate Programs in Human Nutrition, and other OHSU programs.
- Collaborate with program faculty and staff to develop and deliver library instruction aligned with curricular outcomes.
- Develop and lead workshops on biomedical and public health databases, citation management tools, and research strategies.
- Develop web-based guides and other research and learning products.
- Otherwise provide reference services, instruction, database searching, and outreach to OHSU faculty, staff, and students and to Oregon health professionals.
- Otherwise serve as a subject liaison and select library materials relevant to programs in my areas.
- Participate in planning, policy formation and decision-making relating to health sciences services, collections and technologies.
- 2010-2014 - User Experience Librarian, Oregon Health & Science University Library. Assess the library user experience at OHSU and use information gathered to create a more user-centered library; Develop and conduct user experience research (e.g. usability testing the library web site); Partner with and observe the library's different user groups to assess their unique information needs; Partner with library staff to develop and promote appropriate changes in library services and resources; Partner with library staff, users, and other institutional departments as appropriate; Communicate these processes and projects to library staff and other stakeholders; Provide outreach to the OHSU community regarding the library user experience.
- 2006-2010 - Systems & Web Development Librarian, Oregon Health & Science University Library. Troubleshoot and support the Innovative Interfaces ILS (Integrated Library System); evaluate user needs for Web site; make appropriate changes to Web site to accomodate these information needs; develop solutions for Web site and online catalog interface issues; Assist in development and maintenance of systems underlying the databases and other resources the library provides; otherwise provide computer support for staff and patrons.
- 1997-2006 - Web Developer for the Oregon Health & Science University Libraries Web site. Program developer/manager/instructor/Web Manager support, Database-driven Web classes (data modelling, ColdFusion, SQL), 2002-2004. Program developer/manager/instructor/Web Manager support, Web Manager Education Program (Beginning and Advanced HTML, Forms, CSS, FTP), 1997-2001
- 1995-1997 - Computer Applications Trainer, Edu-Tech Center and Training Program, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
- 1994-1995 - Grant Writer / User Support Analyst, Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
- 1993-1994 - Administrative Support / User Support Analyst, Office of Rural Health, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
- 1992-1993 - Administrative Support, Oregon Economic Development Department, Portland, OR
- M.P.H., Portland State University, Portland, OR (2014)
- M.L.I.S., Information School, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (2006)
- M.A., History , Portland State University, Portland, OR (2005)
- B.A., English, University of Oregon Honors College, Eugene, OR (1991, cum laude)
Co-presenter, with Sarah Drummond Hays, Ed.D. (OHSU), BAM! The Power Of Annotated Bibliographies to Coach Students to Deeper Evaluation, Synthesis, and Original Writing, OHSU Schoolof Medicine Education Symposium, Portland, OR, April 14, 2017.
Presenter, Women in the History of Medicine in the United States, OHSU Undergraduate Medical Education Teaching Services, Portland, OR, October 2, 2017; October 24, 2016
Poster, with Sarah Drummond Hays,Alison McLellan, and Antoinette Polito (OHSU PA Faculty), An Exercise in Justice: Public Healthcare in Prison, Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA) Education Forum, Minneapolis, MN, October 14, 2016.
Presenter, Collaborating Across Faculty to Build an Information Fluency Assessment Tool for Students in Public Health Graduate Programs. ILAGO Summit (Information Literacy Advisory Group of Oregon), Bend, OR, May 21, 2016.
Co-presenter, with Jay Sedillo, PA-S (OHSU), Show Me the Data. Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) WestCoast Conference, Portland, OR, April 18, 2015.
Presenter, What Can Library Assessment Learn from Doctor Who?, Library User Experience and Assessment Un-Conference, Portland, OR, April 4, 2014.
Co-presenter (with Robin Ashford, George Fox University), 2014 Mobile Technology in Libraries Climate Survey. Online Northwest 2014, Corvallis, OR, February 7, 2014.
Invited speaker, Pacific Northwest Chapter, Medical Library Association (PNC/MLA), September 14-17, 2013, Anchorage, Alaska. "Through Their Eyes: Visual Stories, Mental Maps, and User Experience."
Co-presenter (with Robin Ashford, George Fox University), 2012 Mobile Technology in Libraries Climate Survey. Online Northwest 2012, Corvallis, OR, February 10, 2012. Academic libraries | Public libraries
Co-presenter (with Todd Hannon, OHSU), Health Information Literacy Partnership with Oregon PAs: Report on Lessons Learned from an NNLM/PNR Grant-Funded Project. PNC/MLA 2011, Boise, ID, October 15-18, 2011.
Web Traffic and Campus Trends: A Multi-Institutional Analysis (PPT). Presented at Online Northwest Conference, February 5, 2010.
Navigating Next Generation Catalog Needs (PPT), PORTALS Workshop with Kyle Banerjee, Portland Community College, Portland, Oregon, May 30, 2008
User Interface Needs in the OPAC: A Case Study in Usability Testing from OHSU, Innovative User Group Conference 2008 - Presentation (Session G5) and Poster, Washington, D.C., April 27-30, 2008
Using a Content Management System to Teach Library Staff about Web 2.0, OLA/WLA 2008 Conference - Training and Instruction Showcase, Vancouver, WA, April 16-18, 2008
Navigating User Understanding of the OPAC Interface: Case Study from OHSU's Web Usability Testing, Online Northwest 2008, Corvallis, Oregon, February 22, 2008
Usability Testing the OPAC: A Case Study from OHSU, Northwest Innovative Users Group, Portland, Oregon, October 18-19, 2007
Co-presenter, with Friday Valentine, "OHSU's Homegrown Knowledgebase", at Online Northwest 2005
Co-presenter, with Diane Carroll and Sara Piasecki, "Descent Into Chaos: Figuring out database-driven technology for OHSU Library ejournals", at both a PORTALS meeting and at the April 2002 ASIS conference at Reed College
Co-taught, with Dolores Judkins as a Saturday Academy class, the week-long "Design a Website: Young Women's Health Page for OHSU", July 1999
Assisted with "Take Our Daughters To Work" day visit, in training over 100 6-10 year olds in building Web pages (1999).
Assisted with Advocates for Women in Science, Engineering and Mathematics (AWSEM) program visit to OHSU, Tuesday, February 16, 1999.
Co-presenter, with Janet Crum,"Library Applications of XML" at both the ASIS Pacific Northwest Chapter Annual Meeting, 1998 and the 1999 Online Northwest Conference.
Walsh, N. & Zeigen, L. (2015). Adventures in Mentoring and Menteeing. Oregon Library Association Quarterly, 21 (3) Fall 2015.
Ford, E. & Zeigen, L. (2013). "Oregon Master of Public Health Program: A case study of inter-institutional library collaboration." Mergers, Alliances, Collborations, and Partnerships. Advances in Librarianship, 36. Eds. Woodsworth, A. & Penniman, W. D. Emerald Publishing Group.
Burke, M. and Zeigen, L. (2012). Oregon’s Goal: Healthy, Knowledgeable, Successful People. How? A Strong Information Literacy Continuum. Oregon Library Association Quarterly, 18 (2) Summer 2012.
Sistrom, M., Zeigen, L. Jones, M., Durham, K., Boudrot, T. (2011). Integrated Methods for Teaching Population Health. Journal of Nursing Education. 50 (1), 35-39.
Co-editor (with Janet Crum) (2009). Library Catalogs and Other Discovery Tools. Oregon Library Association Quarterly, 15(1) Spring 2009.
Zeigen, L. (2007). Untangling the Legal Universe for Libraries: Professional Pages Book Review, Knowledge Quest on the Web, 35 (3), Jan/Feb.
Crum, J., Judkins, D. Z., and Zeigen, L. (2003). "A Tale of Two Needs: Usability Testing and Library Orientation." Computers in Libraries 23(1), 22-25.
Professional service and offices held
Chair-Elect, PublicHealth/Health Administration (PH/HA) Section, Medical Library Association (MLA) (2017-present)
Relational Leadership Institute led by Primary Care Progress (Spring 2017)
OHSU-PSU School of Public Health, Gun Violence as a Public Health Issue Advisory Committee (2016-2017)
Pacific Northwest Chapter, Medical Library Association (PNC/MLA), 2016 Conference Planning Committee, Chair
Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP) Mentor, Medical Library Association (MLA) (2016-2017)
Janet Doe Lectureship Jury, Medical Library Association (MLA) (2016-2017)
Orbis Cascade Alliance Digital Collections Working Group (2016-2017)
Orbis Cascade Alliance EAD Database Working Group FY16 (2016-2017)
OHSU Physician Assistant Program Research Committee (2016-present)
OHSU Physician Assistant Program Curriculum Committee (2015-present)
Abstract reviewer, Academic Public Health Caucus, Health Administration,American Public Health Association (APHA) 2016
Abstract reviewer, Medical Library Association (MLA) (2015, 2016)
MLA Research Agenda Systematic Review Project – Question 14 - In medical schools where librarians areincluded in the curriculum, do the students have a greater degree of information literacy than students in schools where librarians are not part ofthe curriculum? (2013-2014)
Institute for Healthcare Improvement, PSU/OHSU Open School Chapter, MPH: Health Management & Policy Track Representative (2012-2014)
Orbis Cascade Alliance Assessment Work Group (2012-2014)
Oregon Health Sciences Libraries Association (OHSLA), President (2012-2013)
OHSU School of Medicine Curriculum Transformation Work Group on Evaluation of Courses, Clerkships and the Overall Curriculum (2012-2013)
OHSU Interprofessional Task Force on Multi-Professional Education(2012-2013)
Pacific Northwest Chapter, Medical Library Association (PNC/MLA), Emerging Roles in Librarianship Planning Committee (2012)
OHSU Assessment Council / Academic Program Review Committee (2011-2012)
Pacific Northwest Chapter, Medical Library Association (PNC/MLA), 2011 Conference Planning Committee, Professional Development Committee (2009-2011)
Pacific Northwest Chapter, Medical Library Association (PNC/MLA), 2010 Conference Planning Committee, Professional Development Committee;TechnologyCommittee (2009-2011)
Oregon University System Inter-Institutional Faculty Senate, OHSU representative (2010-2013)
OHSU Faculty Senate Educational Policy Committee (2009-2013)
OHSU Library Faculty Representative to OHSU Faculty Senate and OHSU Faculty Senate Executive Committee (2009-2012)
Co-founder, Orbis Cascade Alliance Research Interest Group (2009)
Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)-Oregon Board, Member-at-Large (2008-2010)
Northwest Digital Archives Usability Design Working Group (2007-2009)
Member, Orbis Cascade Alliance Summit Internet Search Engine Working Group (2005-2007)
Member, Web Advisory Group (WAG), PORTALS Web redesign committee (2004-2005)
Student rep, tenure review committee, History Department, Portland State University (2002)
American Library Association, (ALA) ACRL, RUSA sections
American Public Health Association (APHA), Health Administration (HA),Community Health Planning and Policy Development (CHPPD) sections