- Assess the library user experience at OHSU and use information gathered to create a more user-centered library.
- Develop and conduct user experience research (e.g. usability testing the library web site).
- Partner with and observe the library's different user groups to assess their unique information needs.
- Partner with library staff to develop and promote appropriate changes in library services and resources.
- Partner with library staff, users, and other institutional departments as appropriate.
- Communicate these processes and projects to library staff and other stakeholders.
- Provide outreach to the OHSU community regarding the library user experience.
- Provide back-up systems support.
- Serve as a subject liaison and select library materials.
- Participate in planning, policy formation and decision-making relating to health sciences services, collections and technologies.
- Systems & Web Development Librarian, Oregon Health & Science University Library, 2006-2010. Troubleshoot and support the Innovative Interfaces ILS (Integrated Library System); evaluate user needs for Web site; make appropriate changes to Web site to accomodate these information needs; develop solutions for Web site and online catalog interface issues; Assist in development and maintenance of systems underlying the databases and other resources the library provides; otherwise provide computer support for staff and patrons.
- Web developer for the Oregon Health & Science University Libraries Web site, 1997-2006. Program developer/manager/instructor/Web Manager support, Database-driven Web classes (data modelling, ColdFusion, SQL), 2002-2004. Program developer/manager/instructor/Web Manager support, Web Manager Education Program (Beginning and Advanced HTML, Forms, CSS, FTP), 1997-2001
- Computer Applications Trainer, Edu-Tech Center and Training Program, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR (1995-1997)
- Grant Writer / User Support Analyst, Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR (1994-1995)
- Administrative Support / User Support Analyst, Office of Rural Health, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR (1993-1994)
- Administrative Support, Oregon Economic Development Department, Portland, OR (1992-1993)
- M.P.H., Portland State University, Portland, OR (2014)
- M.L.I.S., Information School, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (2006)
- M.A., History , Portland State University, Portland, OR (2005)
- B.A., English, University of Oregon Honors College, Eugene, OR (1991, cum laude)
Presentations and Publications
Co-presenter (with Robin Ashford, George Fox University), 2014 Mobile Technology in Libraries Climate Survey. Online Northwest 2014, Corvallis, OR, February 7, 2014. Academic Libraries and Public Libraries PDF reports will be posted here soon.
Invited speaker, Pacific Northwest Chapter, Medical Library Association (PNC/MLA), September 14-17, 2013, Anchorage, Alaska. "Through Their Eyes: Visual Stories, Mental Maps, and User Experience."
Co-presenter (with Robin Ashford, George Fox University), 2012 Mobile Technology in Libraries Climate Survey. Online Northwest 2012, Corvallis, OR, February 10, 2012. Academic libraries | Public libraries
Co-presenter (with Todd Hannon, OHSU), Health Information Literacy Partnership with Oregon PAs: Report on Lessons Learned from an NNLM/PNR Grant-Funded Project. PNC/MLA 2011, Boise, ID, October 15-18, 2011.
Web Traffic and Campus Trends: A Multi-Institutional Analysis (PPT). Presented at Online Northwest Conference, February 5, 2010.
Navigating Next Generation Catalog Needs (PPT), PORTALS Workshop with Kyle Banerjee, Portland Community College, Portland, Oregon, May 30, 2008 (Presentation (PPT) | Resources list (PDF) | Example usability goals, methods and tasks (PDF))
User Interface Needs in the OPAC: A Case Study in Usability Testing from OHSU (PPT | PDF), Innovative User Group Conference 2008 - Presentation (Session G5) and Poster, Washington, D.C., April 27-30, 2008
Using a Content Management System to Teach Library Staff about Web 2.0, OLA/WLA 2008 Conference - Training and Instruction Showcase, Vancouver, WA, April 16-18, 2008
Navigating User Understanding of the OPAC Interface: Case Study from OHSU's Web Usability Testing (PDF) (Executive Summary | Resource list / handout), Online Northwest 2008, Corvallis, Oregon, February 22, 2008
Usability Testing the OPAC: A Case Study from OHSU (PDF), Northwest Innovative Users Group, Portland, Oregon, October 18-19, 2007
Co-presenter, with Friday Valentine, "OHSU's Homegrown Knowledgebase", at Online Northwest 2005
Co-presenter, with Diane Carroll and Sara Piasecki, "Descent Into Chaos: Figuring out database-driven technology for OHSU Library ejournals", at both a PORTALS meeting and at the April 2002 ASIS conference at Reed College
Co-taught, with Dolores Judkins as a Saturday Academy class, the week-long "Design a Website: Young Women's Health Page for OHSU", July 1999
Assisted with "Take Our Daughters To Work" day visit, in training over 100 6-10 year olds in building Web pages (1999).
Assisted with Advocates for Women in Science, Engineering and Mathematics (AWSEM) program visit to OHSU, Tuesday, February 16, 1999.
Co-presenter, with Janet Crum,"Library Applications of XML" at both the ASIS Pacific Northwest Chapter Annual Meeting, 1998 and the 1999 Online Northwest Conference.
Ford, E. & Zeigen, L. (2013). "Oregon Master of Public Health Program: A case study of inter-institutional library collaboration." Mergers, Alliances, Collborations, and Partnerships. Advances in Librarianship, 36. Eds. Woodsworth, A. & Penniman, W. D. Emerald Publishing Group.
Burke, M. and Zeigen, L. (2012). Oregon’s Goal: Healthy, Knowledgeable, Successful People. How? A Strong Information Literacy Continuum. Oregon Library Association Quarterly, 18 (2) Summer 2012.
Sistrom, M., Zeigen, L. Jones, M., Durham, K., Boudrot, T. (2011). Integrated Methods for Teaching Population Health. Journal of Nursing Education. 50 (1), 35-39.
Co-editor (with Janet Crum) (2009). Library Catalogs and Other Discovery Tools. Oregon Library Association Quarterly, 15(1) Spring 2009.
Zeigen, L. (2007). Untangling the Legal Universe for Libraries: Professional Pages Book Review, Knowledge Quest on the Web, 35 (3), Jan/Feb.
Crum, J., Judkins, D. Z., and Zeigen, L. (2003). "A Tale of Two Needs: Usability Testing and Library Orientation." Computers in Libraries 23(1), 22-25.
Memberships and offices held
- Chair, LiME (Libraries in Medical Education), WGEA/AAMC (Western Group on Educational Affairs, Association of American Medical Colleges) (2013- )
- Co-Chair, Membership Committee, Public Health/Health Administration Section, Medical Library Association (2013- )
- Orbis Cascade Alliance Assessment Work Group (2012-2014)
- Oregon University System Inter-Institutional Faculty Senate (2010-2013)
- Orbis Cascade Alliance Research Interest Group, Co-Founder (2009-2013)
- Pacific Northwest Chapter, Medical Library Association, Member
- Medical Library Association, Public Health/Health Administration Section, Member
- Association of College & Research Libraries, Member
- Oregon Library Association, Member (Library Assessment Roundtable)
- American Library Association, Member