- Leads assessment of repository services and technologies and works with library and external staff to identify and prioritize support needs and systems improvements
- Develops an engaged, collaborative community around institutional digital assets and works with the OHSU community to develop shared digital asset collections
- Creates and teaches classes, workshops, and instruction sessions for the OHSU community on repository services and procedures; provides ongoing, customized consultation, training, and support to users
- Maintains and promotes awareness of standards, trends, and best practices in digital assets management and institutional repositories
- Collaborates to plan, implement, and evaluate a robust suite of digital repository services for OHSU and plays a key role in researching, testing, recommending, and implementing new digital repository technologies
- Establishes procedures and workflows for selection, intake, and access to institutional digital assets
- Establish and maintains institutional guidelines for describing, managing, and delivering digital assets; ensure compliance with HIPAA, FERPA, and local information policies
- 2015-2016 - Research and Instruction Librarian for Digital Scholarship, Lesley University Moriarty Library, Cambridge, MA
- 2013-2014 - Visual Resources Curator, Art Institute of Boston Library at Lesley University, Boston, MA
- 2012-2013 - Collections Management Assistant, Tufts University Hirsh Health Sciences Library, Boston, MA
- 2011-2012 - Circulation Library Assistant, Tufts University Hirsh Health Sciences Library
- 2011-2012 – Technology Reference Assistant, Simmons School of Library and Information Science, Boston, MA
- 2010-2011 – Staff Assistant, Dental Research Administration, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA
- 2007-2009 – Senior Digital Imaging Assistant, College of Visual and Performing Arts Visual Resources Center, University of Massachusetts North Dartmouth, North Dartmouth, MA
- 2013 - Masters of Library and Information Science, Simmons College
- 2010 – Bachelors of Arts, Art History, University of Massachusetts North Dartmouth
- 2010 – Bachelors of Fine Arts, Photography, University of Massachusetts North Dartmouth
Certifications and Trainings
- 2017 - DigCCurr Professional Institute: Curation Practices for the Digital Object Lifecycle, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- 2014 - Summer Education Institute for Visual Resources & Image Management, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Thornhill, KM, Morales, M. The Value of Repository Professionals in Neoliberal Academia – Canaries in the Mines. E-Science Community Blog. August 16, 2016. http://esciencecommunity.umassmed.edu/2016/08/16/the-value-of-repository-professionals-in-neoliberal-academia-canaries-in-the-mines/
- Houk, KM, Thornhill KM. Utilizing Facebook Insights Data to Determine Posting Best Practices in an Academic Health Sciences Library. Journal of Web Librarianship. Volume 7, Issue 4 2013
- Thornhill, KM. Digital Assets Management in the Archives. Second Chance: Discoveries in the Archives. Panel Discussion at Visual Resources Association Conference. Louisville, KY. March 29-April 1, 2017.
- Thornhill, KM. User Experience Leading DAM Repository Assessment at OHSU Library. Presentation at Visual Resources Association Conference. Louisville, KY. March 29-April 1, 2017.
- Thornhill, KM. Ensuring User Needs Before DAM Repository Implementation. Lightning Talk at Digital Library Federation Forum. Milwaukie, WI. November 7-9, 2016.
- Thornhill, KM; Anderson, M; Forero, D; Banerjee, K. The User-Centered Repository: Foundational Conversations and Services.Panel Discussion at Pacific Northwest Institutional Repository User Group 2016 Meeting. July 12th, 2016.
- Thornhill, KM. Scope Drifting Toward Data Management and Institutional Collection Building. Presentation at Visual Resources Association and ARLIS/NA Joint Conference. March 8-12, 2016.
- Thornhill, KM, Palmer, L. Assessment of Doctoral Biomedical Student Research Data Management Needs. Poster Session presented at: Medical Library Association Annual Meeting 2014. Chicago, IL. May 19 2014.
- Thornhill, KM. Understanding the Depositing and Accessing of Dental Electronic Health Records for a Consortia Data Repository. Poster Session presented at 76th ASIS&T Annual Meeting SIG Digital Libraries 2013. Montreal, Ontario Canada. Nov 1-5 2013.
- Houk, KM, Thornhill KM. Are Academic Health Sciences Library Facebook Pages Self-Serving? Poster Session presented at: American Library Association 2013 Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. July 1 2013.
- Thornhill, KM, Gunn, C, Powers E, Toner E, and Tanguay C. Sixteen Students, Fourteen Weeks: Building a Digital Library through Collaborative Learning. Poster session presented at: 75th ASIS&T Annual Meeting SIG Digital Libraries. Baltimore, MD. Oct 28 2012.
Most Informative eScience Poster
Thornhill, KM, Palmer, L. An Assessment of Doctoral Biomedial Student Data Management Needs. Poster Session presented at: 5th Annual University of Massachusetts and New England Area Librarian eScience Symposium, April 9th 2014; Worcester, MA
Honorable Mention Best Lightning Talk Presentation
Thornhill, KM. Understanding the Depositing and Accessing of Dental Electronic Health Records for a Consortia Data Repository. Poster Session presented at 76th ASIS&T Annual Meeting SIG Digital Libraries 2013; 2013 Nov 1-5; Montreal, Canada
Best Poster Overall
Thornhill, KM. Understanding the Depositing and Accessing of Dental Electronic Health Records for a Consortia Data Repository. Poster Session presented at: 4th Annual University of Massachusetts and New England Area Librarian eScience Symposium, April 3rd 2013; Worcester, MA
- 2017-Present - Leader. Digital Library Federation Assessment Interest Group's User/Usability Studies Guidelines and Best Practices
- 2016-Present - Reviewer. Journal of eScience Librarianship
- 2016-Present - Social Networking Coordinator. Visual Resources Association
- 2015 - Vice-Chair. Art Libraries Society of North America New England Chapter
- 2012-2014 – ASIS&T Bulletin Advisory Board
- Association for Information Science and Technology
- Society of American Archivists
- Visual Resources Association