Major responsibilities• As ontology coordinator, help integrate ontologies at high level
• Advise on ontology development best practices
• Provide a “help desk” service for individuals or groups who are developing new ontologies
Education• Graduate Student in Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
• B.S., Biology (1992), University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
Previous positions• Scientific Data Curator for eagle-i Consortium (2009-2011), Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
• Scientific Curator for Xenbase (2007-2009), University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
• Scientific Curator for ZFIN (1998-2007), University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
Select presentations and publications
• Nicole Vasilevsky, Tenille Johnson, Karen Corday, Carlo Torniai, Matthew Brush, Erik Segerdell, Melanie Wilson, Chris Shaffer, David Robinson and Melissa Haendel (2012) Research resources: curating the new eagle-i discovery system. Database Vol. 2012, bar067.
• Segerdell E, Bowes JB, Pollet N, and Vize PD. (2008) An ontology for Xenopus anatomy and development. BMC Dev Biol 8:92.
• Torniai C, Brush M, Vasilevsky N,Segerdell E, Wilson M, Johnson T, Corday K, Shaffer C, and Haendel M. (2011) Developing an application ontology for biomedical resource annotation and retrieval: Challenges and lessons learned. International Conference on Biomedical Ontology 2011; July 26–30, 2011; Buffalo, NY.
• Segerdell E, et al. eagle-i: an ontology-driven framework for biomedical resource curation and discovery. Poster presentation at: Biocuration 2010; October 11–14, 2010; Tokyo, Japan.