Head, Information & Research Services
Associate University Librarian
Direct a department of 6 librarians with supervision of the Reference/Information desk, reference services, library liaison program, database coordination, bibliographic instruction, consumer health services and library outreach.
- Coordinator, Consumer Health Resources (1997-May 2000)
Librarian, Web Manager, Center for Women's Health
Coordinator of the Consumer Health Section of the Library which included Health Information by Mail, training others to use the Internet to find and use consumer health information, maintaining the Consumer Health Page, supervision of other librarians and library technicians in answering health questions for consumers, grant writing, working with others throughout the University and Hospital in setting up patient libraries and training staff to use the consumer health resources.
Librarian / Web Manager for the Center for Women's Health (.25 FTE) includes writing and maintaining the Center for Women's Health web page, planning the Resource Center, selecting materials for the Resource Center, working with other agencies to coordinate consumer health information on women's health.
- Reference Librarian (1991-May, 2000)
Part-time position in the Research and Reference Services Department includes working with students, faculty, staff, and patients. Provide traditional reference services as well as computer hardware and software support at both walk-in and call-in help desks. Teach bibliographic instruction courses, Internet, and electronic mail. Library support person for library's online databases and CD-ROM stations. Member of the Collection Development Committee. Special projects included cataloging special collections on OCLC and VTLS; designing a Medical Library Association continuing education course; presentation on the basics of CD-ROM at Online Northwest '95; member of the Portland Area Libraries (PORTALS) database committee; member of the Statewide Cooperative Collection Development Committee .
- Library Director (July 1982 - June 1991)
Dental Branch Library
Planned and directed all facets of the OHSU Dental Library. Provided reference service for students, faculty, staff, patients and dentists throughout Oregon. Cataloged the History of Dentistry collection on OCLC. Taught courses to students on writing research papers. Managed collection development. Did electronic database searching. Supervised seven support staff. Special projects included a National Library of Medicine grant to introduce dentists to the Grateful Med software for searching medical databases; member of a committee to oversee the joining of the Oregon Health Sciences University Library and University Computing. Position was eliminated in budget cuts in June 1991.
- Reference Librarian (December 1981-June 1982)
Provided reference service and electronic database searching for students, faculty, staff and patients.
- Health Sciences Library (March 1980 - November 1981)
Good Samaritan Hospital, Portland, Oregon
Provided reference service for staff and nursing students, including electronic database searching. Cataloged the collection. Supervised circulation and interlibrary loan. Produced a library newsletter.
- Suffolk Cooperative Library System (February 1978 - December 1979)
Bellport, New York
Provided reference and interlibrary loan service for the 52 member libraries in Suffolk County, New York. Was referral librarian for questions that could not be answered in other libraries in the system. Produced a vertical file for hard to find material.
- Health Sciences Library (August 1977 - November 1977)
State University of New York at Stony Brook
Stonybrook, New York
A temporary project position. Provided reference service, circulation support, electronic database searching. Worked with faculty in preparing reserve book lists. Assisted with OCLC catalog conversion.
- Multnomah County Library
(September 1974 - April 1977)
Provided reference service in the Literature and History Department. Supervised selection in women's studies, Spanish language materials, and genealogy. Indexed the Oregonian and the Oregon Journal. Gave library orientations. Produced a bibliography for National Women's Year and a brochure on how to search genealogies in the Multnomah County Library.
- Centro Cultural Sampedrano
(July 1973 - June 1974)
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Peace Corps Librarian
Set up the only library in San Pedro Sula, the second largest city in Honduras. Instituted library programs for children, and trained local personnel to run the library. Worked with outreach programs in the community on the use of the library.
- Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA)
(October 1970 - June 1972)
Worked mainly in education and community organization with Mexican Americans and Native Americans. Assisted at a school for potential high school dropouts, taught in the Head Start program and Adult Basic Education, and worked as liaison between the local high school and the low-income community.
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, 1970.
- Master of Library Science, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, 1973.
Crum, J., Judkins D., Zeigen, L. "A Tale of two needs: usability testing and library orientation." Computers in Libraries, 23(1):22-25, January 2003.
Judkins, D.Z., "Searching the medical literature on the Internet." Laboratory Medicine, 32(5): 243-6; May 2001.
Judkins, D.Z., "The More we know, the safer we are: evolution of a young women's health page". Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 1(3): 55-62; 2001.
Judkins, D.Z., "Women's health on the Web: an overview." Health Care on the Internet. 4(2/3):1-18; 2000.
Judkins, D.Z. "Health resources on the Internet: a basic list." Medical Reference Services Quarterly. 15(4):13-20, Winter, 1996.
Judkins, D.Z., Kreinbring, M., Wren, M. Basics of Dental Information. Medical Library Association, 1994.
Judkins, D.Z. "Library services and resources." Journal of the Oregon Dental Association. 57(2):36,38; Winter, 1987.
Judkins, D.Z., et al. "Standards for reference services in health sciences libraries: the reference product." Medical Reference Services Quarterly 5(3):35-50; Fall, 1986.
Judkins, D.Z. "Searching hints: a chronic disease hedge for use on MEDLINE." Medical Reference Services Quarterly 3(2):72-73; Summer, 1984.
"Take Your Apple to School: Health Information for School Nurses." Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, May 2003.
"Making Technology Work for You: Using Computers and Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs) in Your Practice." Oregon Nurses Association / Nurse Practitioners of Oregon, September 14, 2002
"The More We Know, the Safer We Are". Panel presentation for "Library Partnerships - Powerful Connections", Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, May 30, 2001.
"Health Information and the Internet." Oregon Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Association, April 21, 2000
"Finding Health Information on the Web: Sites of Particular Interest for Workers' Compensation." Oregon Bar Association, Workers' Compensation Section, May 1999.
"Health Information for Consumers." Oregon Library Association, April 1999.
"The Internet Prescription for Health Information." Online Northwest, February 1999.
"Basic Health Resources on the Internet." Portland Area Library System (PORTALS), April, 1997
"Information Sources on Breast Cancer." St. Vincent Hospital Breast Cancer Self-help group, March, 1997
"Health Resources on the Internet." Online Northwest '96, February 1996.
"CD-ROM Basics." Presentation at Online Northwest '95, January, 1995.
"Library services for the dental health professional." Table clinic at the Oregon Dental Association meeting, April, 1990.
"Using Infonet through the Oregon Health Sciences University Library." Presentation at the Oregon Periodontal Association meeting, November, 1989.
- 2003-2005 Surveys Made Easy. Four hour MLA CE class.
- 1999-2004 Native Researchers Cancer Control Training Program: PubMed and Internet Resources. Two 2-hour sessions each year.
- 2000-2001 The Internet for School Nurses. Three hour workshop
- 1998-1999 Health Information on the Internet: Oregon Libraries Project. Four hour workshop.
- 1998-1999 Finding Patient Information on the Web. 2 hour Continuing Medical Education class.
- 1996-1999 Developing and Maintaining a Web Home Page. Four hour class.
- 1995-1997 Netscape and the World Wide Web. Four hour class.
- 1994-1996 Basics of Internet. Four hour class.
- 1992-1997 Basics of OHSU Information Services
- 1981-1991 How to access health information in the Dental Library.
- 2003 Public Health Nurses and the Internet. National Library of Medicine Outreach Project Award
- 2001 Finding it on the Web: Health information for seniors. National Library of Medicine Outreach Subcontract for Resource Libraries
- 2000 School Health Nurses: A Link to the Consumer. National Library of Medicine Access to Electronic Health Information for the Public
- 1990 Introduction of Grateful Med to Dental Health Professionals. National Library of Medicine Grateful Med Outreach Program
Medical Library Association.
- Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association (PNC/MLA) Chapter Council Representative, 2005-
- PNC/MLA Chapter Council Alternate, 2001-2005
- Chair of the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association, 1991.
- Co-chair of PNC/MLA annual meeting in Portland, 1989.
- Chair of the Dental Section of the Medical Library Association, 1988.
- Chair of the Hospitality and Information Committee for the nation MLA meeting in Portland, 1987.
- Member of various MLA committees.
Oregon Health Sciences Libraries Association
- President, 2002, 1995 and 1982
OHSU Faculty Senate. BICC Representative 1999-2001, Secretary 2001-2002
Member of the Oregon Library Association
Member of the American Library Association
Online Northwest Planning Committee, 1993-1999
PORTALS Online Database Committee, member 1993-1998; Chair 1997-1998
Oregon Statewide Collection Development Steering Committee, member 1991-1995