Co-lead of the Ontology Development Group within the OHSU Library and Department of Medical Informatics and Epidemiology
Ontologist for the eagle-i project (eagle-i.net), an ontology driven system designed to collect and disseminate information about scientific resources and publish Linked Open Data
• Development of ontologies and best practices for representation and query of biomedical resources, model organisms and clinical specimens
• Semantic web engineering
• Content management for eagle-i Consortium
• End-user requirements and user interface design and testing
Ph.D. Computer Science (2007) Media Integration and Communication Center, Universita’ degli Studi di Firenze, Florence, Italy
Master in Internet Engineering (2003) Universita’ degli Studi di Firenze, Florence, Italy
Telecommunication Engineering Degree (Master equivalent, 5 Year degree) (1998) Universita’ degli Studi di Firenze, Florence, Italy
• Postdoctoral Research Associate (2008-2009) Cisoft, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
• Postdoctoral Fellow (2007-2008) Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
• Visiting researcher (2006) Hewlett Packard Labs, Bristol, UK
• Researcher / Project manager (2002-2007) Media Integration and Communication Center, Universita’ degli Studi di Firenze, Florence, Italy
• Chief Technology Officer (2000-2002) Motoride.com, Milan, Italy
• System and Network Engineer (1998-2000) Menarini, Florence, Italy
Select Publications and Presentations
• Nicole Vasilevsky, Tenille Johnson, Karen Corday, Carlo Torniai, Matthew Brush, Erik Segerdell, Melanie Wilson, Chris Shaffer, David Robinson and Melissa Haendel (2012) Research resources: curating the new eagle-i discovery system. Database Vol. 2012, bar067.
• Torniai, C., "Editorial: Semantic Technologies for Multimedia-enhanced Learning Environments," Interactive Learning Environments”, Vol. 19, No. 1, 2011, pp. 1-4
• Torniai C et al. “Developing an application ontology for biomedical resource annotation and retrieval: challenges and lessons learned", (2011) Proceedings: International Conference on Biomedical Ontology, Buffalo, NY.
• Mungall, C.J., Haendel, M.A., Ireland, A., Manzoor, S., Meehan, T., Osumi-Sutherland, D., Torniai, C., Diehl, A.D. (2011) “Modularization for the Cell Ontology.” Proceedings: International Conference on Biomedical Ontology, Buffalo, NY.
• Torniai C, et al. “eagle-i: an ontology-driven framework for biomedical resource annotation and discovery”. Bio-Ontologies 2010 Semantic Applications in Life Sciences, ISMB 2010; July 9-10, 2010; Boston, MA
• Bertini, R. Cucchiara, A. Del Bimbo, C. Grana, G. Serra,C. Torniai, R. Vezzani “Dynamic Pictorially Enriched Ontologies for Video Digital Libraries”, IEEE Multimedia, April-June 2009 (vol. 16 no. 2) pp. 42-51
• C. Torniai, J. Jovanovic, S. Bateman, D. Gasevic, and M. Hatala, “E-learning meets Social Semantic Web”, 8th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, Santander, Cantabria, Spain, 1-5 July 2008
Association for Computing Machinery 2006 - present
International Society for Biocuration 2009 – present
Outside of Work
Carlo enjoys playing squash, surfing, watching movies, reading books, listening to indie rock music, and playing video games.