The Whitman Collection was developed, from about 1938 or 1939 on, from a list of books that were known to be in Dr. Marcus Whitman's collection at the Whitman mission. Dr. Whitman and his wife Narcissa had established a religious mission east of Fort Walla Walla (a Hudson's Bay Company trading post) in November 1837 and ran it for ten years until they were both killed in November 1847. Copies of the books he used to care for the Cayuse Indians at the mission are in the collection. Books about the Whitmans are also kept here. The Whitman collection is located in the History of Medicine Room.