OHSU

Collections & Archives

The History of Medicine Collection is in the History of Medicine Room, Old Library. It contains books published before 1901 and certain twentieth-century facscimile reprints and other rare and valuable historical books. In this collection are books that were part of the 1893 donation of Dr. R.B. Wilson and Rodney Glisan's personal collections to the Medical School, which formed the very beginning of our Library. The History of Medicine collection itself came into being as a special collection around 1939. It was located in cabinets in a front reading room of the Old Library during the 1940s and 1950s before being moved to its current location. The current room was dedicated in April 1964 as the Historical Book Room. Its name was later changed to History of Medicine Room.

About the archives

The Archives assumes responsibility for the institution's cumulative collection of materials pertaining to medical education and practice in the Pacific Northwest, the history of the institution, and the contributions of individuals. Materials include: administrative and fiscal records, architectural drawings, board and committee minutes and reports, books, diaries, illustrations, journals, manuscripts, memorabilia (paraphernalia and ephemera), personal and official correspondence, photographs and scrapbooks. Over 500 linear feet of archival collections have been accessioned. Many collections have been fully processed; available guides and indexes are included as PDF files next to the names of the collections below. Complete finding aids are not available for unprocessed collections, but brief descriptions may be obtained from Historical Collections & Archives staff. Unprocessed collections may be available for use on site. See contact information for details on visiting the History of Medicine Room to use collection materials.