Collection Assessment Recommendations
The Data Subgroup submits these recommendations for the Collection Development Committee's approval:
1. Update collection development policy
2. Increase monograph expenditures through systematic ordering by subject liaisons. Maintain current level of monograph expenditures
a. Purchase specific monographs identified by subject liaisons.
b. Update monograph collection in areas identified by subject liaisons.
c. Increase amount of e-book content in areas identified by subject liaisons.
3. Reduce monograph purchases in subjects identified by subject liaisons and put expenditures in those subject areas towards journal content
4. Deselect material from the monograph collection based on feedback received from subject liaisons and overlap data from other Orbis Cascade Alliance libraries
5. Transition print continuations to electronic format. Collection Development & Scholarly Communications Department should consult with individual subject liaisons on transition
6. Accept list of core journal titles. Develop a separate list of core journal titles for preservation purposes
7. Evaluate recommended journals for purchase and make a concerted effort to increase journal collection starting with the 2011 calendar year. Use reserve funds and the FY11 capital budget request of $30,000 for new titles to add subscriptions. Collection Development & Scholarly Communications Department should consult with subject liaisons on priority purchases
8. Regularly monitor requests – titles requested from OHSU and titles that OHSU users request from other Orbis Cascade Alliance libraries. Collection Development & Scholarly Communications Department should make this information easily accessible for subject liaisons
9. Use SciVal Spotlight to track and update distinctive and emerging areas and faculty. The Collection Development & Scholarly Communications Department should regularly update subject liaisons on developments and publication patterns of faculty, especially new OHSU faculty. SciVal should also serve as another tool to identify key publications in emerging areas
10. Survey departments or key faculty on collection needs either through surveys or focus groups
11. Continue participation in Orbis Cascade Alliance cooperative programs
Return to Collection Assessment