In 2006, following several years of increasing campus-wide activity related to global health, students of the Global Health Alliance proposed a plan for a Global Health Center at OHSU. Subsequently, former OHSU President Peter Kohler and Provost Lesley Hallick established a campus-wide Global Health Initiative Steering Committee to "develop a proposal...for an interdisciplinary Global Health Center at OHSU that would focus on Collaboration, Advocacy, Research, Education and around health issues that connect countries and people all around the globe." President Joseph Robertson announced the creation of the enterprise wide OHSU Global Health Center in August 2007 with Peter Spencer, PhD, FRCPath as Director.
Early global health educators at OHSU
Left to right:
- Jay D. Kravitz, MD, MPH, Global Health Center and Dept. of Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Lydia Metje, RN, School of Nursing
- Harold Osterud, MD, MPH, Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Fran Cappa, RN, PhD, School of Nursing, Clark County Health Dept.
- Shivaji Ramalingam, PhD, School of Medicine