"Optimal wellness that transcends national boundaries and is best addressed by cooperative solutions." This philosophy encompasses domestic as well as international health and focuses on health in resource-poor communities.
GHC Site map
New GHC Publications & Articles
Brain Degeneration, Cancer Connections, Peter S. Spencer, PhD, FANA, FRCPath, and Glen Kisby, PhD. Article
Interprofessional Global Health Education in a Cosmopolitan Community of North America: The iCHEE Experience, Valerie S. Palmer, Rajarshi Mazumder & Peter S. Spencer, Academic Medicine: journal of the Association of the American Medical Colleges, Jun 2014, 10p. Full text
Global Health Center (GHC) Selected Achievements and RecognitionMore than 1,000 interprofessional students have completed our courses since Academic Year 2008!
- 2013 Launched interactive Global Impact Map highlighting OHSU's professional ties around the world
- 2013 Hosted Western Regional International Health Conference (approx. 500 attendees)
- 2012-15 NINDS R01 Eureka grant to research Nodding Syndrome
- 2012 Spirit Mountain Grant for iCHEE and PTGH
- 2012 NIH-NHGRI grant for the GHC Sherpa program
- 2012 Consultation on Community Health in China
- 2012 Road Map for Interprofessional GH Education
- 2012 GH training for Internal Medicine Residents
- 2012 Concentration in GH Studies for MPH students
- 2011 Purpose Prize Fellow Award - W. Andrew Harris, MD
- 2011 Consultation on Toxicology in Uzbekistan
- 2011 United Way grant to advance iCHEE in Portland
- 2011-13 GH Fair featuring NGOs that work abroad
- 2008-13 Six GH interprofessional education electives
- 2008-13 54 GHC Travel Scholarship winners - 19 countries
- 2008-12 NIH Fogarty Framework grant (1 of 35)
- 2007-13 PTGH - 79 graduates
- 2007-13 Capacity building in DR Congo
- 2007-13 1,042 interprofessional students educated in GH
NIH: National Institutes of Health NINDS: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke NHGRI: National Human Genome Research Institute EUREKA: Exceptional, Unconventional Research Enabling Knowledge Acceleration.
The Global Health Center has been committed to inter-professional education since its inception in 2007, having taught over 900 students from dentistry, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, public health, physician assistant and graduate nutrition students, along with 79 mid-career to retiring health care professionals. Our programs have served over 1200 clients drawn from Portland's refugee, homeless and other underserved residents. View stats
DO DRUGS REALLY HAVE TO BE SO EXPENSIVE?A liver cancer treatment is off-limits in the National Health Service (NHS) due to its unjustifiably high price tag, but in India the same treatment is available for less than £100 a month. Read more on our GHC Advocacy page
Global Health Center Video
Interested in the Global Health Center activities? Click here to view 5 minute video
Recipient of the 2008 NIH John E. Fogarty International Center Framework Grant on Global Health in Changing Environments
The Global Health Center strives to provide accurate and up-to-date information regarding academic, research, and service activities across OHSU and beyond. Given the changing nature of global health, we highly recommend that readers of this website check with programs and training sites of interest to assure accurate information.