The Ethics Center leads research in key domains of the various ethics issues. For example in advance care planning, the Center coordinates the national research agenda for the POLST Paradigm Initiative. Selected publications include:
- Muramoto O. Socially and Temporally Extended End-of-Life Decision-making Process for Dementia Patients. Journal of Medical Ethics. Published online Feb 2011.
- Jansen LA, Appelbaum PS, Kelin WMP, Weinstein ND, Cook W, Fogel JS, Sulmasy DP. Unrealistic Optimism in Early-Phase Oncology Trials. IRB: Ethics & Human Research. 2011;33(1):1-8.
- Hickman SE, Nelson CA, Moss A, Hammes BJ, Terwilliger A, Jackson A, Tolle SW. Use of the Physicain Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST) Paradigm Program in the Hospice Setting. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2009;12:133-141.
- Hickman SE, Sabatino CP, Moss AH, Nester Wehrle J. The POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) Paradigm to Improve End-of-Life Care: Potential State Legal Barriers to Implementation. J Law Med Ethics. 2008;36:119–140
- Hickman SE, Tolle SW, Brummel-Smith K, Carley MM. Use of the POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) Program in Oregon Nursing Facilities: Beyond Resuscitation Status. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2004;52:1424-1429.
- Meyers JL, Moore C, McGrory A, Sparr J, Ahern M. Use of the Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST) form to honor the wishes of Nursing Home Residents for End of Life Care: Preliminary Results of a Washington State Pilot Project. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 2004;30(9):7-46.
- Schmidt TA, Hickman SE, Tolle SW, Brooks HS. The Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST) Program: Oregon Emergency Medical Technicians’ Practical Experiences and Attitudes. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2004;52:1430- 1434.
- Demanelis A, Moss A. Pilot Study on POST (Physician Orders for Scope of Treatment): Report on POST Form Evaluations. 2002. Unpublished Study.
- Lee MA, Brummel-Smith K, Meyer J, Drew N, London MR. Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST): Outcomes in a PACE Program. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2000;48:1219-1225.
- Tolle SW, Tilden VP, Dunn P, Nelson C. A Prospective Study of the Efficacy of the Physician Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 1998:46(9):1097-1102.
- Dunn PM, Schmidt TA, Carley MM, Donius M, Weinstein MA, Dull VT. (1996). A Method to Communicate Patient Preferences About Medically Indicated Life-Sustaining Treatment in the Out-of-Hospital Setting. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 1996;44:785-791.