OHSU Diversity Program for Visiting Students
The OHSU Diversity Program for Visiting Students is sponsored by the OHSU Department of Medicine student and residency programs and the Center for Diversity & Inclusion.
- Enhance student awareness of opportunities in academic medicine at OHSU and in Portland.
- Increase the number of diverse students applying to OHSU's Residency Programs.
- Provide mentoring and networking for diverse students.
- Mentoring. All participants will be assigned a faculty advisor/mentor and be offered opportunities to network with other OHSU house staff and students.
- Financial Assistance. A stipend of $2,000 will be awarded to cover room and board and transportation during the rotation at OHSU.
- Competitive applicants in the Diversity Program for Visiting Students will have demonstrated personal experience or interest in diversity, health disparities, or serving underrepresented populations.
- The program is open to applicants who demonstrate the above, have expressed interest in applying to an OHSU Residency Program and at least one of the following: grew up in a rural community or have experienced significant disadvantage or adversity.
- Rotations are four weeks in duration and are available, space permitting, to full-time fourth-year students who are in good standing in an LCME- accredited U.S. medical school.
- Available programs include: Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery and others.
Applying to the Program
Interested applicants must apply through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) and provide the following additional items:
- Completed application form for the OHSU Diversity Program for Visiting Students.
- Letter of Endorsement from related Core Clerkship Director, including details on the student's qualifications for the Diversity Program
- Student letter of intent as to his/her qualification and desires for participating in the Diversity Program
- Demonstrated excellent to outstanding performance in the related third-year clerkship (exceptions considered).
For more information about the OHSU Diversity Program for Visiting Students or to receive an application, please contact: GME Diversity Program, firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 494-8652.