OHSU Diversity Program for Visiting Students
The OHSU Diversity Program for Visiting Students is sponsored by the OHSU Department of Medicine student and residency programs and the Center for Diversity & Inclusion.
- Enhance student awareness of opportunities in academic medicine at OHSU and in Portland.
- Increase the number of diverse students applying to OHSU's Residency Programs.
- Provide mentoring and networking for diverse students.
- Mentoring. All participants will be assigned a faculty advisor/mentor and be offered opportunities to network with other OHSU house staff and students.
- Financial Assistance. A stipend of $2,000 will be awarded to cover room and board and transportation during the rotation at OHSU.
- Competitive applicants in the Diversity Program for Visiting Students will have demonstrated personal experience or interest in diversity, health disparities, or serving underrepresented populations.
- The program is open to applicants who demonstrate the above, have expressed interest in applying to an OHSU Residency Program and at least one of the following: grew up in a rural community or have experienced significant disadvantage or adversity.
- Rotations are four weeks in duration and are available, space permitting, to full-time fourth-year students who are in good standing in an LCME- accredited U.S. medical school.
- Available programs include: Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery and others.