Transportation and Parking News
South Waterfront Parking Impacts
Rendering of future buildings at SW Whitaker and SW Bond.
Beginning Jan. 4, 2016 construction will begin on both the CHH South and OHSU Guest House buildings at the South Waterfront.
Whitaker S lot will be closed and the CHH garage will become patient only. Parking spaces will become limited and, as a result, day passes will no longer be sold at the Whitaker pay stations.
All day passes for Whitaker N will be available online here, beginning July 4th, 2016. You may purchase up to one day before parking. Print the permit and display on your dashboard.
January 4th, construction begins on the OHSU Guest House--to be built over what is currently the Whitaker S Parking Lot. The Whitaker S lot will close to all OSHU parkers.
February 1st, construction begins on CHH S--to be built over the south half of the CHH parking garage. The CHH garage will close to everyone except:
- Special parkers (employees with an ADA placard and assigned space)
- March Wellness members
- Whitaker N lot will be reserved for:
- Patient overflow
- Prearranged events and reserved parking
- Limited day parking passes
- Annual parkers will park in Lot 33
- Day Pass parkers will:
- Purchase limited Whitaker N online day passes
- Utilize pay stations in Schnitzer or 3030 Moody
Why are day passes still being sold in Whitaker N even though all annual parkers are being moved out?
- Day passes will only be available online. No sales will be made at the booth or pay stations (to be removed Jan. 1). Whitaker N will be used for patient overflow when construction impacts require even more patients to move out of the garage.
- The availability of parking spaces in Whitaker N will vary day to day. The only way to ensure room for patient parking is by ensuring we can control the capacity for employee parking.
- By making day permits the only permits that can park in this lot, capacity can be adjusted daily according to varying patient loads and upcoming construction impacts.
- This is the only way OHSU can fully support patient parking needs.
ANNUAL PARKER QUESTIONS:
Transportation and Parking will re-issue all annual permit holders a new "Construction Only" permit valid in block 33. The pass holder's previous Whitaker or CHH permit will no longer be valid. Access to the CHH Garage will be turned off.
The Block 33 Annual Pass will available for pickup in the CHH Lobby:
8am to noon Wednesday, Dec. 9
noon to 4pm Thursday, Dec. 10.
The following improvements will be made to Lot 33 to ensure OHSU is able to maximize spaces and provide a safe area for parkers.
- OHSU will lay new gravel and compacting it to make it as tight as possible. Due to city restrictions, we are not allowed to pave the lot.
- OHSU will stripe spaces in the lot.
- OHSU will have clearly marked drive aisles to ensure a smooth flow of vehicles.
- A booth with an attendant will be open 6am to 6:30pm.
- OHSU will install lights throughout the lot to ensure visibility in the early morning and evening.
- A walkway will be created from the north end of the lot to the Curry St sidewalk and the crosswalk across Moody to the CHH and Tram so the lot is more easily accessible.
- 282 annual permits in CHH and Whitaker annual parking combined.
- 217 spaces are in Lot 33.
- While this seems like a space shortage; OHSU tracks the number of annual permits actually used each day in those two locations and the total used on a daily basis has very rarely gone above 200.
- Lot 33 will be expected to accommodate the daily usage needs of the annual permit holders.
- Due to construction, Whitaker S lot will be closed and the CHH garage will become patient only. Parking spaces will become limited and, as a result, Departmental Zone Permits (DZPs) will no longer be accepted in the Whitaker N parking lot.
- Whitaker N will primarily be used for patient overflow and prearranged events.
- We highly encourage anyone who is able to utilize the tram for commuting between Marquam Hill and South Waterfront. Traffic will become increasingly challenging at the South Waterfront for the duration of the construction (projected to complete July 2018).
- However, if there is still a need to park at the South Waterfront, DZP's will be valid in the 3030 Moody parking lot and the Schnitzer parking lot.
DAILY PARKER QUESTIONS
Whitaker S Lot will be closed and the CHH garage will become patient only. Parking spaces will become limited and, as a result, day passes will no longer be sold at the Whitaker pay stations.
All day passes for Whitaker N will be available online. Online sales will be for the next day so you will need to purchase the night before. Spaces will be limited so they will sell out fast.
Lot 33 is reserved for annual permit holders only as there are more permit holders than there are parking spaces. There is not enough room in lot 33 to accommodate any other types of parker.
DEPARTMENT AND COUPON CODE QUESTIONS
Whitaker S lot will be closed and the CHH garage will become patient only. Parking spaces will become limited and, as a result, coupon codes will no longer be accepted in the Whitaker parking lots.
OHSU will be permitting some reservations and events in the Whitaker lot, based on capacity and patient parking needs. These spaces will be available on a first come, first served basis and must be reserved 48 hours in advance. Any permits not reserved 48 hours prior to the date of usage will be released online for day pass sales.
If you would like to make a reservation (for 9 or fewer people) or request an event (for 10 or more people) please visit this page.