OverviewSubject to the limitations of the Oregon Tort Claims Act (ORS 30.260-30.300) OHSU has the obligation to defend and indemnify our employees, including faculty and students for claims arising out of and within the scope of their employment.
General Liability Insurance covers damages and legal defense costs for Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Personal (libel, slander, or defamation) and Advertising Injuries caused by OHSU, its employees, faculty, and students for which OHSU is legally responsible. Typically, this is harm or injury to non-OHSU employees and non-OHSU patients. Coverage is subject to policy limitations and exclusions.
Claim Reporting Process
Liability claims or potential liability claims should be reported to the Risk Management Department immediately. An injured person or someone with damaged property may be expecting OHSU to contact them.
When you contact Risk Management regarding the claim, or potential claim, please forward any of the following documents you have in your possession:
- A letter addressed to Risk Management explaining the time, place and circumstances of the event.
- Copies of applicable letters, DPS or police reports, original photographs, and any other materials relating to the claim.
- Witnesses and involved parties’ names, addresses, and phone numbers.
- The lawsuit, Tort Claim, or complaint.
- If you received a summons, include when it was received in your office and by whom.
- Do not discuss the claim with anyone except Risk Management staff or its designated representative.
- Do not take any actions to resolve a claim without talking to Risk Management.
Please contact the Risk Management Department at (503) 494-7189, or via email, if you have any questions