Stay safe walking
Be safe walking on campus during late or early hours:
- Use well-lighted paths and avoid shortcuts
- Look around and notice those around you.
- Check the locations of emergency telephones along your route. Someone always answers.
- Carry a cell phone for emergencies; program emergency numbers into speed dial.
- Wear reflective clothing for visibility.
Stay safe at work
Be prepared and stay alert:
- Adopt sign-in policies for visitors, office access controls and good lighting.
- Attend safety training and use what's learned.
- Confirm the identity of unfamiliar people in your area; report unusual and worrisome behavior.
- Be sure to read, understand and use company polices.
- Encourage a culture of mutual respect and inclusion.
Avoid bicycle theft
Safeguard your property:
- Lock your bike! It only takes a moment to steal an unlocked bicycle.
- A Kryptonite U-shaped lock is best; cables and padlocks can be cut easily.
- Lock your bicycle frame to a bike rack or other secure object; front wheels can be easily removed.
Avoid vehicle theft
Take precautions and secure your vehicle:
- Never leave your vehicle unlocked, your windows down or the keys in the ignition.
- Never leave spare keys in your vehicle or in known “hiding” spots. Store your spare keys in your wallet or purse.
- Never leave your vehicle running unattended.
- Keep valuables out of sight; lock them in the trunk or store them under your seats.
- Always keep your personal belongings in your possession; don’t leave them unattended - even for a second.
- Report vehicle alarms to Public Safety.