Outside Activity(OA) - FAQ
What is an Outside Activity (OA)?
An activity is considered an "outside" activity when it is "outside" of the scope of the individual's employment with OHSU. An activity shall be considered a "related outside activity" requiring disclosure and approval when the activity:
- Requires the employee to use the same academic, professional or institutional expertise for which he or she is employed by OHSU; or
Is conducted at OHSU owned or controlled premises, or uses OHSU facilities or support contrary to OHSU policies.
- Receipt of royalties for published scholarly work
- Occasional lecture participation with receipt of modest honoraria and expenses*
- Occasional expert witness testimony not on a contract basis
These activities may be disclosed retroactively on an annual basis. An estimate of the continuation and frequency of those activities for the next 12 months should be provided.
*Note additional requirements for OHSU employees participating in industry sponsored or industry subsidized lectures described on the speaker's bureau FAQ
Other OAs must be disclosed and approved in advance. Examples include:
- Consulting agreements and scientific advisory board appointments
- Contract appointments to serve as "on-call" expert witnesses
- Taking a position in a related outside entity
- Any other related outside activity where a signed contractual agreement will be required.
These activities should be disclosed and approved prior to initiating involvement in the activity and the disclosure should be updated if the activity is modified.
All employees of OHSU are responsible for evaluating their outside activities and determining if they must be disclosed. Annual OA disclosure forms are now required only for the following groups of individuals, defined collectively as "disclosing employees":
Disclosing employees include:
- OHSU Faculty members
- OHSU Officers and Unit Leaders
- Others serving in a management capacity at OHSU (including directors, supervisors, managers, and department administrators).
- Persons who have delegated contracting authority or delegated fiscal authority over $100
- Other persons designated by an OHSU Officer or Unit Leader
- Contact: OHSU Integrity Office – 503-494-8849