What types of financial interests must be disclosed?
Other Significant Financial Interests (SFIs)- including those held by spouse, domestic partner or dependent child- not already disclosed as an outside activity must also be disclosed by those required to complete the eCoI disclosure:
Compensation and /or equity as follows:
- Anything of monetary value including, but not limited to, salary, gifts, consulting fees, honoraria or other payments for services that totals more than $5,000 over the last twelve (12) months; or
- Equity interests of any amount in a non-publicly traded entity; or
- Equity interest or entitlement to equity valued at greater that $5,000 ( at the date of disclosure) in publicly traded company; or
- The aggregated value of equity and compensation from publicly traded company that exceed $5,000 over the last 12 months.
Royalty income or the right to receive future royalties under a patent license or copyright agreement
Serving in executive position (any position that includes responsibilities for a material segment of the operation or management of a business, including a position on a Board of Directors)
Significant Financial Interests (SFIs) do not include the following:
- Interests of any amount in publicly traded, diversified mutual funds or retirement accounts so long as the investigator does not directly control the investment decisions made in these vehicles.
- Salary and other payments for services from OHSU ( e.g. approved faculty practice plan earnings).
- Income from seminars, lectures or teaching engagements or service on advisory committees or review panels for a federal, state, or local government agency, an institution of higher education as defined at 20U.S.S. 1001(a), an academic teaching hospital, a medical center, or a research institute that is affiliated with an institution of higher education.
Significant Financial Interests (SFIs) must be disclosed:
- If they create a potential CoI as defined in 10-01-20
- For example, you are involved in purchasing decisions with a company in which you have an SFI
- All researchers must disclose ALL SFIs related to their institutional responsibilities, whether or not related to their research. Those disclosures must be made within 30 days of acquiring the SFI if you are a researcher involved in Public Health Service funded research.