Support for Laid Off Employees
Career transitions are often complex and challenging. As a benefit to AFSCME-represented employees, the CWE Center is here to help you make the most of this time of change. Specifically, our services are designed to help you:
- Productively manage your career transition.
- Assess and understand your strengths, interests, skills, and personal characteristics and how they relate to a successful job search.
- Write powerful resumes that reflect skills and accomplishments.
- Learn techniques for successful networking and self-marketing.
- Become more confident and effective in interviews.
- Evaluate career choices and negotiate job offers.
- Implement plans for meeting career goals.
Who is Eligible?
- AFSCME-represented employees who are placed on the Preferential Hire List may continue to use career transition services after their final day of employment, per the AFSCME contract.
- AFSCME-represented employees who choose the Severance Program may also access career transition services through the CWE Center or the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), until their final day of employment per the AFSCME contract.
What Services and Resources are Included?
- Learn up-to-date strategies for career development and job search. Learn more
- Individualized support to make a smooth transition to your next job. Learn more
- Identify and understand the unique strengths you bring to the workplace. Learn more
- CWE Center Lending Library, web-based career information programs, and other computer-based training to update your skills. Learn more
How do I get started?
The CWE Center is located on the Marquam Hill campus in Multnomah Pavilion, Room 1312. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. or after hours by appointment. Call the center for more details at 503 418 - 0273 or email email@example.com.
Other Career Transition Resources
- Washington State Employment Security Department www.esd.wa.gov
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) In addition to phone and web-based services, up to three face-to-face counseling sessions. All services are available to employees and their dependents for 60 days after termination of employment. Call 1-800-EAP-CALL (1-800-327-2255) or visit their website at www.mybalanceworks.com for more details.