Philosophy & Sustainability Standards
This is a list of criteria that is the ideal for the OHSU FM. For our 9th season, we hope to fill at least 90% of our spaces with vendors that comply with these criteria. We will give priority to those that fulfill this criteria.
- Local as defined by "Within the state of Oregon or within 200 miles of Portland."
- Farm owners provide safe and fair working conditions for all farm workers.
- Organic methods (not necessarily certified) used in growing produce (at minimum, no synthetic pesticides, herbicides or fungicides).
- Humanely raised animal products (at minimum: raise animals without added/prophylactic hormones and antibiotics, and encouraged to graze in open space and on a diet natural for the species).
- Dairy is rBGH free
- Trans-fat free
- Animals (beef and other grass-eating animals) are grass fed and finished.
- >50% of baked goods sold by any 1 vendor are >50% whole grain.
- Produce occupies at least 40% of vendor spaces.
- Preference for processed foods containing local ingredients.
- Variety given priority, especially items other than produce.
- 75% of overall product may not contain more than 35% sugar by weight. (excluding plain fruits and vegetables).
- 75% of overall product may not contain more than 4 g of fat per 100 calories (excluding cheese, plain nuts, seeds, and oils).
- 100% of items sold are produced/grown by vendor.
- Seafood does not include anything from the "Avoid" category of theMonterey Bay Aquarium "Seafood Watch" criteria
- No high-fructose corn syrup containing beverages or foods.
- No high sodium items (>480mg sodium per serving)
The OHSU Farmers Market is set up to accommodate many forms of payment, including all federally subsidized income programs acceptable at farmers markets.