U.S. News ranks OHSU Hospital No. 1 in Oregon; five specialties are nationally ranked
07/15/14 Portland, Ore.
U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals 2014-15 recognizes hospitals that demonstrate expertise in treating the most challenging patients
Oregon Health & Science University Hospital is the No. 1 hospital in Oregon, according to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals 2014-15, and ranks among the best in the nation in five specialties:
- 33rd in Cancer
- 44th in Diabetes and Endocrinology
- 22nd in Ear, Nose & Throat
- 35th in Geriatrics
- 50th in Urology
U.S. News also rated seven OHSU Hospital specialties as “high-performing”:
- Cardiology & Heart Surgery
- Gastroenterology & GI Surgery
- Neurology and Neurosurgery
“It’s gratifying to see our commitment to excellence reflected in these rankings. We are extremely proud that the work of our talented and dedicated faculty and staff has garnered national recognition,” said Peter Rapp, OHSU executive vice president and executive director of OHSU Healthcare.
U.S. News evaluated hospitals in 16 adult specialties and ranked the top 50. Just 144 of the nearly 5,000 hospitals analyzed for Best Hospitals 2014-15 earned national ranking in even one specialty.
For 12 of the 16 ranked specialties, U.S. News analyzed three objective performance measures:
- Structure: nurse staffing, hospital volume, availability of leading-edge technologies and patient services, as well as special status, including Nurse Magnet recognition and National Cancer Institute cancer center designation (OHSU Hospital has both).
- Process: developing and delivering a system that delivers high-quality care, including diagnosis, treatment, prevention and patient education.
- Outcomes: complication, readmission, patient safety, infection and survival rates.
Ophthalmology, psychiatry, rehabilitation and rheumatology were ranked solely on reputation as determined by a physician survey.
According to U.S. News, the rankings were developed and specialties chosen to “help consumers determine which hospitals provide the best care for the most serious or complicated medical conditions.”
U.S. News released its "Best Children's Hospitals" rankings last month and OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital is nationally ranked in 10 out of 10 specialties.
The rankings are available online and will appear in the U.S. News “Best Hospitals 2015” guidebook in August.
Oregon Health & Science University is the state's only public academic health and research university. As one of Oregon's largest employers with more than 14,000 employees, OHSU's size contributes to its ability to provide many services and community support not found anywhere else in the state. OHSU serves patients from every corner of Oregon and is a conduit for learning for more than 4,400 students and trainees. OHSU is the source of more than 200 community outreach programs that bring health and education services to each county in the state.