Former Gov. Kitzhaber, Experts to Discuss Plight of the Uninsured at OHSU's Cover the Uninsured Day
05/11/04 Portland, Ore.
As part of the local and national Cover the Uninsured Week, a panel of experts led by former Gov. John Kitzhaber, M.D., will discuss the crisis facing people who cannot afford health insurance and ways to help them.
Wednesday, May 12, noon to 1 p.m.
OHSU Auditorium, Marquam Hill Campus
Other panelists include:
- Mariah Taylor, M.S.N., R.N., C.P.N.P., founder and primary provider of the North Portland Nurse Practitioner Community Health Clinic, will speak from the perspective of a frontline, safety net clinic serving a growing population of desperate, uninsured residents in our community.
- Leandra Alanis, Oregon Health Plan screener, Spanish interpreter at the North Portland Nurse Practitioner Community Health Clinic, will speak about Latino community issues.
- Damian Flowers, OHSU School of Medicine second-year student, will speak about growing up uninsured.
- Bruce Goldberg, M.D., administrator, Office for Oregon Health Policy and Research, will speak about the legislative issues contributing to the crisis in health care for the uninsured in the state.
- Emily Borod, OHSU School of Medicine second-year student, and one of the main organizers of the event, will be the moderator.
Informational booths from community agencies will be available in the lobby from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.