Students Head out to Oregon Communities
10/02/03 Portland, Ore.Fifteen Oregon Health & Science University physician assistant students will begin their five-week rotations on Oct. 6 in communities throughout Oregon:
- Baker City: Ellen Augustine, rotation in orthopedics with Eric Sandefur, D.O., St. Elizabeth Medical Group, 3325 Pocahontas Road, 541 523-1798 or 541 523-1704.
- Bend: Brandee Danks and Kristien Sima, rotations in surgery with George Buzzas, M.D., OHSU clinical assistant professor, and Stephen Archer, M.D., Advanced Surgical Care, 2705 N.E. Conners, Suite B, 541 322-5753.
- Bend: Cassi Dixon, rotation in orthopedics with Scott Tyler, PA-C, Orthopaedic & Neurological Center Cascades, 2600 N.E. Neff Road, Suite #1, 541-382-3344.
- Gold Beach: Dayne Johnson, rotation in women's health with Charles Hochberg, M.D., North Bend Medical Clinic, 94180 Second St., 541 247-7047 or 541 469-5377.
- Lebanon: Kevin Cantwell, rotation in surgery with Stephan Coffman, M.D., 55 Twin Oaks Ave., Suite C-1, 541 451-6412.
- Lincoln City: Ina Walts, rotation in emergency medicine with Dean Orton, M.D., OHSU clinical assistant professor, Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital Emergency Department, 3043 N.E. 28th Street, 541 996-7188.
- Medford: Halie Goffrier, rotation in emergency medicine with Earl Showerman, M.D., Providence Medford Medical Center, 1111 Crater Lake Ave., 541 732-5057.
- Medford: Laura Ramme, rotation in pediatrics with Rod Hinds, PA-C, OHSU clinical assistant professor, Southern Oregon Pediatrics, 750 Murphy Road, 541 608-4096.
- Prineville: Emily Jacobsen, elective rotation in rural medicine with Michael Knower, M.D., High Desert Health Care, 1251 N.E., Elm St., 541 447-1680.
- Stayton: Angie Lyons-Johnson, rotation in surgery with Betty Kierstead, M.D., 1401 N. Tenth Ave., 503 769-3785.
- Salem: Christi Ahaus, rotation in women's health with Deborah Johnson, M.D., A Women's Place, P.O. Box 5189, 503 585-9695.
- Salem: Mindy Glivinski, rotation in pediatrics with James Lace, M.D., Childhood Health Associates, 2395 Center St., N.E., 503 364-2181 or 503 364-2178.
- Salem: Eric Harmon, rotation in dermatology with Michael Goodenberger, M.D., The Dermatology Clinic, P.C., 2441 Grear, 503 364-3321.
- Salem: Kurt Kenoyer, community medicine rotation with Eric Schuman, PA-C, OHSU clinical assistant professor, Kaiser Permanente, 2400 Lancaster Dr., N.E, 503 370-4916.
Besides on-campus education, students spend 14 months during the program on five-week rotations at clinical sites throughout Oregon. They are trained in primary care, women's health, pediatrics, emergency medicine, general surgery, inpatient medicine and orthopedics. The capstone clinical experience is a 10-week primary care preceptorship in which students complete a health promotion/disease prevention project designed to meet an identified community health care need.