Our Public Safety department has developed a coordinated approach to promote compliance with the policy. Public Safety officers routinely speak to anyone who is observed smoking on the campus, remind them of the policy, and offer assistance. OHSU provides free nicotine replacement for any visitor who needs additional assistance to manage while on campus and offers a full benefit to any employee who wants to quit.
We expect all our employees to comply with the policy and employees who are repeatedly observed smoking on the campus are referred to their manager to help resolve the problem. If someone observes employees or visitors repeatedly smoking in specific areas on campus and reports the "hot spot" to Public Safety (4-7744), the "hot spot" is targeted for extra signs, clean up, and additional monitoring.
In addition to Public Safety staff, we encourage all OHSU employees, especially managers, to assist in maintaining a tobacco-free environment by helping ensure everyone is aware of the policy. To enforce this policy:
- We are firm, but courteous and respectful.
- The emphasis is on education and support.
- Compliance is high when both leadership and employees are smoke-free role models in the community—that's our goal.
- Signs are posted at all entrances and placed in strategic locations throughout the campus.
- People applying for positions at OHSU are told up-front that we have a tobacco-free policy.
- Patients and their families are informed of the policy as much as possible before they arrive at OHSU (e.g. by the scheduler in outpatient clinics; through the preadmission process). Once here, they are reminded again at the time they park and at registration in the hospital and outpatient clinics. By providing as much advance information as possible, we help patients better prepare for their stay at OHSU.
Tobacco Free Resources
For more information on sustaining a tobacco-free OHSU, the following Tobacco-Free Resources are available for ordering, printing and distribution by individual departments, units or employees:
- Tobacco-Free Employee Guide Provides information on sustaining a tobacco-free OHSU, including accessing the support resources (download and print).
- Tobacco-Free Manager Guide Provides information on the new Public Safety plan and the manager’s role in keeping OHSU tobacco-free (download and print).
- Postcards can be handed to patients and visitors when they arrive at OHSU. Postcards are part of the Core Publications Program, and are available to OHSU medical practices and hospital units at no cost through the Logistics online catalog (download and print).
- Nicotine Support Pack Referral Card provides information about how visitors can manage their cravings while at OHSU. These cards are part of the Core Publications Program, and are available to OHSU medical practices and hospital units at no cost through the Logistics online catalog (Item no. 157312).
- "Is it time to quit smoking?" OHSU medical practices and hospital units may order this brochure "through the Logistics online catalog (Item no. 143481). This brochure is part of the Core Publications Program, and is available to clinical units at no cost.