How to Complete Your Gift
1. Choose what to give.
Pick from one of these four options.
- A specific bequest gives us a particular piece of property. If you disposed of the property before your death, we won't receive your intended gift because we cannot claim any other property.
- A general bequest gives us a stated sum of money. If there is insufficient cash in your estate to cover the bequest, other assets will be sold for cash to honor your wishes for us.
- A residuary bequest gives the "rest, residue and remainder" of your estate, or, more commonly, a percentage of the residue after all other bequests, debts and taxes have been paid.
- A contingent bequest requires a certain event to occur before the gift can happen. For example, you could bequeath funds to a family member provided that person survives you; if not, the funds would then go to OHSU Foundation.
You can make your bequest in honor or in memory of someone special. Please contact Office of Gift Planning at Toll Free 800-462-6608 or 503-228-1730 or email@example.com to learn more.
2. Decide how you would like OHSU Foundation to use your gift.
Choose from one of these three options.
- An unrestricted bequest allows us to use the assets in the most beneficial way.
- A restricted bequest allows you to specify how we are to use the funds. Contact us in advance to be certain your intent can be fulfilled.
- An endowment bequest allows you to designate the purpose of your gift. Your gift is invested with and becomes part of our endowment and a distribution is made each year. Because the principal remains intact, the fund will support our mission in perpetuity.
3. Meet with your estate planning attorney.
Whether you need to create a will or trust, or simply update an old document, you'll want to seek the help of an estate planning attorney.
|Download a free guide about how to prepare for this meeting with your attorney.|
Thank you for considering a gift to OHSU through your will or revocable living trust.
It is important that the bequest designation read "OHSU Foundation." The foundation has been established to receive, manage, and disperse funds in the best way possible for the benefit of OHSU.
Basic Sample Bequest Language
"I hereby give, devise and bequeath ________ (a specific dollar amount or percentage of the residue of my estate) to the Oregon Health & Science University Foundation, a non-profit corporation of the State of Oregon, to be used to further the purposes of the Oregon Health & Science University in the area of greatest need."
If you wish to direct your gift to a specific area, we would be happy to help you with appropriate language. Please contact the Gift Planning Department at 503-228-1730 or 800-462-6608 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) Foundation (Tax ID # 23-7083114)
1121 SW Salmon Street, Suite 100
Portland, OR 97205-2020
4. Let us know of your plans.
Please contact Office of Gift Planning at Toll Free 800-462-6608 or 503-228-1730 or email@example.com to let us know when you have made plans for such a gift. We would love the opportunity to thank you for your generous act. We are happy to honor your wishes regarding anonymity.
Getting Started | Is This Gift Right for You? | Case Study | How to Complete Your Gift | Action Items