Gifts of Cash in Your Will or Trust: Getting Started
If you've thought about making a gift to OHSU Foundation but aren't ready to give up your assets or an amount of money today, consider leaving a gift of cash to us after your lifetime through your will or revocable living trust.
This method—called a bequest—allows you the flexibility to change your mind at any time since your gift isn't actually complete until after your lifetime. Plus, if your estate will be subject to estate taxes, this gift entitles your estate to a federal estate tax charitable deduction for the full amount of your gift, reducing any estate taxes owed upon death.
How It Works
- To leave a gift of cash after your lifetime, you need a current will or revocable living trust.
- You decide what dollar amount you'd like to give to us.
- Your attorney will help you complete the gift.
Thank you for considering a gift to OHSU through your will or revocable living trust.
It is important that the bequest designation read "OHSU Foundation." The foundation has been established to receive, manage, and disperse funds in the best way possible for the benefit of OHSU.
Basic Sample Bequest Language
"I hereby give, devise and bequeath ________ (a specific dollar amount or percentage of the residue of my estate) to the Oregon Health & Science University Foundation, a non-profit corporation of the State of Oregon, to be used to further the purposes of the Oregon Health & Science University in the area of greatest need."
If you wish to direct your gift to a specific area, we would be happy to help you with appropriate language. Please contact the Gift Planning Department at 503-228-1730 or 800-462-6608 or email@example.com.
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) Foundation (Tax ID # 23-7083114)
1121 SW Salmon Street, Suite 100
Portland, OR 97205-2020
- After your lifetime, OHSU Foundation receives your cash gift from your estate.
Many people consider a cash gift in their will or trust the perfect way to make a gift. It allows you to support Oregon Health & Science University in the future without using any of your assets today. In addition, leaving us a gift of cash after your lifetime offers these benefits:
- Simplicity. Just a few sentences in your will or trust are all that is needed to complete your gift.
- Flexibility. Because you are not actually making a gift until after your lifetime, you can change your mind at any time.
- Tax relief. The gift entitles your estate to a charitable estate tax deduction, reducing the amount of federal estate taxes your estate may owe the IRS.
|Request our free guide on making your first will.|
Please contact Office of Gift Planning at Toll Free 800-462-6608 or 503-228-1730 or firstname.lastname@example.org if we can answer any questions you have about this way to leave your mark at Oregon Health & Science University.
Getting Started | Is This Gift Right for You? | Case Study | How to Complete Your Gift | Action Items