Impact Summary: Faculty Support Initiative
At the heart of every great academic health center are the people whose vision and talents define it – outstanding faculty who create new knowledge, inspire excellence, and improve human health. OHSU’s best work begins with these achievers.
In 2009 OHSU launched a three-year, $100 million fund-raising initiative to support faculty and give them the resources they need to do vital work. The Faculty Support Initiative (FSI) concluded successfully on June 30, 2012, with more than $169 million committed in gifts and pledges – nearly 70 percent above its ambitious goal. In the process, the campaign enhanced partnerships across the university and helped set the stage for what’s next. Below are key results:
Commitments made during FSI supported endowments to recruit and retain outstanding faculty. All told, 16 endowed positions — five chairs and 11 professorships — were newly established or received significant new funding during the three-year campaign period.
Equipment and Core Resources
Through FSI, OHSU secured a next-generation gene sequencer, state-of-the-art electron microscopes, super-resolution microscopes, and sophisticated simulation equipment. These and other resources will power core laboratories, speeding the research breakthroughs that save and improve lives.
Gifts made to support this important initiative are saving and improving lives. Key contributions are enabling OHSU faculty to help:
- Halt the rise in chronic illness caused by unhealthy eating and inadequate nutrition, especially in early life
- Make heart disease history through new discoveries, education and prevention
- Prevent HIV/AIDS around the world with promising vaccine research
- Change the face of cancer through new targeted therapies
- Advance the search for treatments for neurological illness
- Discover powerful cures for some of the world’s most debilitating eye diseases
- Improve the health of children and families in Oregon and beyond