The Office of Protocol and Events plays a large but silent role in many of the events that happen on and off campus. We have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions that will hopefully serve as a resource to answer any questions you may have.
- I want to host an event at OHSU - Can you help me?
- What type of event management and support services do you provide?
- I am an employee at OHSU and want to organize my own event - Where do I start?
- I am not affiliated with OHSU, but would like to host an event there - What do I do?
- My department would like to organize a fundraiser - Where do I start?
- How do I locate vendors to supply what I need for my event?
- Is parking free at on campus?
- I want to serve alcohol at my event - What are the rules?
- I need to reserve space for an event - How do I do that?
- I want to use the Portland Aerial Tram for my private event - How can I reserve it?
- I want the President and/or Provost to attend my event - How do I make that happen?
I want to host an event at OHSU - Can you help me?
The Office of Protocol and Events is a client service department that provides a centralized standard of excellence, quality and protocol to all events at OHSU – that includes the Offices of the President, University, Hospital and Research departments with additional support to Schools and OHSU Foundation. We also produce and manage events for student, faculty, continuing medical educators in the community, conferences, lectures and seminars.
The Office of Protocol and Events designs, produces and manages impeccable events for our internal as well as external clients as we extend the presidential standard of hospitality throughout the university.
Interested in requesting an events at OHSU - Learn More
What type of event management and support services do you provide?
The Office of Protocol and Events will work with you in every facet to ensure that your event achieves its intended goal in coordination and presentation. We also offer an auxiliary of support services to ensure that your event runs smoothly and professionally.
Event Support Provided
- Liaison with the selected meeting/event committee members, as appropriate
- Attendance at organizing and sub-committee meetings, as requested
- Develop timelines
- Serve as point of contact for all activities at site location, as needed
- Serve as support for OHSU departments staging in venue
- Manage set-up and breakdown
- Coordinate all vendors providing goods and services as contracted
- Coordinate timelines and scheduled deliveries
- Provide staff to manage all details including deliveries, set-ups
- Build relationship(s) with point-of-contact person at each venue
- Coordinate guest parking and transportation
- Post production summary of event
- Negotiate the best value with all suppliers on OHSU's behalf
Creative Support Provided
- Support and help creative strategies to engage guests
- Re-configure set-up if needed to maximize exposure
- Define need for, design and produce, any necessary traffic flow signage
- Produce "Thank you" event for volunteers
- Coordinating with event venues regarding space
- Arrange speakers
- Arrange Catering
- Gifts or give-aways
I am an employee at OHSU and want to organize my own event - Where do I start?
We have also created a step by step Event Check List that will help you stay organized and are always here to answer questions you may have.
The Office of Protocol and Events also offers project management for large and small events that require an experience staffing to ensure that no detail goes unchecked. To request our services please fill out the online Internal Event Request Form
I am not affiliated with OHSU, but would like to host an event there - What do I do?The Office of Protocol and Events designs, produces, and manages events, conferences, and seminars for our internal as well as external clients. If you are interested in hosting an event at OHSU and would like information regarding pricing, restrictions, vendors and availability, please fill out the information on the Event Request Form and a representative will get back to you with the information, or contact us directly.
My department would like to organize a fundraiser- Where do I start?
Fundraising events are complex and success depends on the proper coordination of efforts and consideration of many factors. The OHSU Foundation has developed simple steps ensure all fundraising event activities are coordinated from the very beginning in a manner that allows the OHSU Foundation to process, receipt and acknowledge event revenue appropriately.
The OHSU Foundation and the Office of Protocol and Events will work closely with you to answer any questions that you may have about organizing a fundraising event.
Creating a fundraising event - Learn More
How do I locate a vendor to supply what I need for my event?
Is parking free at OHSU?
For events at held at any of the OHSU Venue locations, the Office of Protocol and Events will work directly with the OHSU Parking Department to arrange special parking and transportation options.
I would like to serve alcohol at my event - what are the rules?
If alcohol will be served at any event held on OHSU owned or controlled property, the sponsoring group/department/individual shall notify the Office of Protocol and Event at least 5 business days before the event. The alcohol must be served by a licensed approved vendor.
Please review OHSU's Serving of Alcohol Policy 07-90-025.
Internal and External Customers - Please use Event Request Form
If you have any questions regarding serving alcohol at your event, please feel free to contact us directly.
I need to reserve space for an event - How do I do that?
If you are an OHSU Employees and would like to reserve space for an event, you can book that room/venue exclusively through EdComm Room Scheduler. If you need help choosing a venue to meet your event's needs, or are thinking of holding it off campus, please contact us.
If you are an external customer and would like to hold your event here at OHSU, please review our available Venues. The Office of Protocol and Events is available to answer any questions that you may have.
I want to use the Aerial Tram for my private event - How can I reserve it?
For all request regarding the private use of the Portland Aerial Tram, please contact the Office of Protocol and Events directly.
There is a 4 hour minimum charge for use and fee applied to the tram rental. Reservation dates, times and availability is limited so please inquire early.
I would like to request the OHSU President and/or Provost to attend my event - How do I go about that?
To inquire on their availability, please contact the office emails directly below with the following information.
Office of the President - Joseph Robertson Jr., MD, MBA
Office of the Provost - Jeanette Mladenovic, MD, MBA, MACP
Reason for Request: