When and How to Update Your Will
When to Update Your Will
Here are some circumstances that make it vital to update your will:
- You want to name a different executor, trustee or guardian.
- Your assets have significantly increased or decreased in value.
- You've moved to another state.
- Your situation or a beneficiary's situation has changed. Has your family changed because of marriage, divorce, birth, adoption or death?
- You want to include a gift to us in your will. Consider leaving us a percentage of your estate or the balance remaining after bequests are distributed to your loved ones.
- The estate tax laws have changed. Check with your estate planning attorney to make sure your estate plan is up-to-date with any federal estate tax law changes.
When changes occur in your life, remember to update your estate plans for assets not controlled by your will. For example, you may need to change beneficiary designations on your retirement plan assets or life insurance policies.
How to Update Your Will
Step 1: Get a copy of your current will.
Step 2: Mark the areas you'd like to change.
Step 3: Meet with your estate planning attorney to draft and prepare your new document.
Step 4: Consider discussing changes with us if they may affect Doernbecher Children's Hospital Foundation.
Contact your estate planning attorney if you have additional questions on updating your will. If you are considering including a gift to us in your will, please contact Office of Gift Planning at Toll Free 800-800-9583 or 503-294.7101 or email@example.com.
Thank you for considering a gift to Doernbecher through your will or revocable living trust.
It is important that the bequest designation read "Doernbecher Children's Hospital Foundation." The foundation has been established to receive, manage, and disperse funds in the best way possible for the benefit of Doernbecher Children's Hospital.
Basic Sample Bequest Language
"I hereby give, devise and bequeath ________ (a specific dollar amount or percentage of the residue of my estate) to the Doernbecher Children's Hospital Foundation, a non-profit corporation of the State of Oregon, to be used to further the purposes of Doernbecher Children's Hospital in the area of greatest need."
If you wish to direct your gift to a specific area, we would be happy to help you with appropriate language. Please contact the Gift Planning Department at 503-228-1730 or 800-462-6608 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Doernbecher Children's Hospital Foundation (Tax ID # 93-0579589)
1121 SW Salmon Street, Suite 100
Portland, OR 97205-2020
Getting Started | 4 Steps to Your First Will | Case Study | When and How to Update Your Will | What Your Will Can't Do | How to Find an Estate Planning Attorney | Action Items