Janko Nikolich-Zugich Publications (* - Peer Reviewed)
* Nikolic, J. and S. Vukmanovic. 1983. Production and characterization of alloreactive antisera in inbred rat strains. Med. Podml. XXXV (3-4), 197.
* Vukmanovic, S. and J. Nikolic. 1983. Effects of Carrageenan in vivo: delineation of the effect on the immunocompetent and accessory cells. Med. Podml. XXXV (1), 21.
* Nikolic, J. 1984. Analysis of the interaction of cloned T cells and macrophages by the F(ab)'2 fragments of antigen-specific antibodies. Med. Podml. XXXVI (1), 21.
* Mostarica-Stojkovic, M., J. Nikolic, M. Petrovic and M.L. Lukic. 1983. Genetic correlates of the resistance to the induction of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. Period. Biol. 85:63.
* Burkly, L.C., J. Nikolic and H.H. Wortis. 1985. T cell regulation of light chain expression: Early dominance of Ig? in a primary thymus-dependent response does not require affinity based selection. J. Immunol. 135:1573.
Nikolic-Zugic, J., T. Jovanovic, F.Y. Liew, W.L. Chan and M.L. Lukic. 1986. Immunogenic potential and protective capacity of HSV-I glycoproteins. In: Genetic and Biochemical Engineering in Biotechnology, P. Radicevic, ed., pp. 117-125, Nolit, Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
* Nikolic-Zugic, J., T. Jovanovic, W.L. Chan and M.L. Lukic. 1986. Induction of T cell proliferative response by immunopurified HSV-I glycoproteins: Correlation with their protective capacity. Period. Biol. 88 (1):158.
* Jovanovic, T., J. Nikolic-Zugic, J. Dimitrijevic and M.L. Lukic. 1986. Detection of virus and type specific glycoproteins on the membrane of HSV-infected cells by monoclonal antibodies. Period. Biol. 88 (1):246
* Nikolic-Zugic, J. and M.J. Bevan. 1988. Thymocytes expressing CD8 differentiate into CD4+ cells following intrathymic injection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 85:8633.
* Nikolic-Zugic, J., M.W. Moore and M.J. Bevan. 1989. Characterization of the subset of immature thymocytes which can undergo rapid in vitro differentiation. Eur. J. Immunol. 19:649.
* Nikolic-Zugic, J. and M.W. Moore. 1989. T cell receptor expression on immature thymocytes with in vivo and in vitro precursor potential. Eur. J. Immunol. 19:1957.
* Nikolic-Zugic, J. and M.J. Bevan. 1990. Functional and phenotypic delineation of two subsets of CD4 single positive cells in the adult murine thymus. Int.Immunol.1:135.
* Nikolic-Zugic, J. and M.J. Bevan. 1990. The role of self peptides in positively selecting the T cell repertoire. Nature 344:65.
* Nikolic-Zugic, J. and F.R. Carbone. 1990. The effect of mutations in the MHC class I peptide binding groove on the cytotoxic T lymphocyte recognition of the Kb-restricted ovalbumin determinant. Eur. J. Immunol. 20:2431.
Nikolic-Zugic, J. and F.R. Carbone. 1991. Peptide presentation by class-I major histocompatibility complex molecules. Immunol. Res. 10:54.
Nikolic-Zugic, J. 1991. Phenotypic and functional stages in thymocyte development. Immunol. Today 12:65.
* Sands, J.F. and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1992. T cell-specific protein-DNA interactions occurring at the CD4 locus: identification of possible transcriptional control elements of the murine CD4 gene. Int. Immunol. 4:1183.
* Nikolic-Zugic, J., S. Andjelic, H-S. Teh, and N. Jain. 1993. Influence of T cell receptor (TcR) ab transgenes on early T cell development. Eur. J. Immunol. 23:1699.
Nikolic-Zugic, J. and M.J. Bevan. 1993. Recognition requirements for the positive selection of the T cell repertoire: A role of self-peptides and major histocompatibility complex molecule pockets. In: Molecular Mechanisms of Immunological Self-Recognition (F.W. Alt and H.J. Vogel, editors), Academic Press, Inc., San Diego, CA pp. 105-114.
* Andjelic, S., N. Jain and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1993. Ontogeny of fetal CD8lo4lo thymocytes: early expression of TcR a mRNA and TcR ab receptors. Eur. J. Immunol. 23:2109.
Nikolic-Zugic, J. and R. Dyall. 1993. Positive selection of the T cell repertoire is affected by mutations in the peptide-binding site of MHC class I molecules. in A. Penn, D.P. Richman, R.L. Ruff and V.A. Lennon (eds) Myasthenia gravis and related disorders : experimental and clinical aspects. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 681:16.
* Andjelic, S., N. Jain and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1993. Immature thymocytes become sensitive to calcium-mediated apoptosis with the onset of CD8, CD4 and the T cell receptor expression: A role for bcl-2? J. Exp. Med. 178:1745.
* Andjelic, S., J. Drappa, E. Lacy, K.B. Elkon and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1994. The onset of Fas expression follows the expression of CD8 and CD4 on murine fetal and adult thymocytes. Int. Immunol. 6:73.
* Vukmanovic, S., G. Stella, P.D. King, R. Dyall, K.A. Hogquist, J.T. Harty, J. Nikolic-Zugic and M.J. Bevan. 1994. Positively selecting thymic epithelial line lacks costimulatory activity. J. Immunol. 152:3814.
Nikolic-Zugic, J. (editor) 1994. Intrathymic Development of T Cells. R.G. Landes Co., Austin, TX. Contains the following authored chapters :
Chapter 3. Nikolic-Zugic, J. Phenotypic and functional stages in the intrathymic development of the ab thymocyte lineage.
Chapter 7. Nikolic-Zugic, J. Positive intrathymic selection of TcR alpha/betaT cells.
Chapter 8. Nikolic-Zugic, J. Clonal deletion in negative intrathymic selection.
Chapter 10. Nikolic-Zugic, J. The relationship between positive and negative selection.
Chapter 12. Nikolic-Zugic, J. and S. Andjelic. Signal transduction in developing thymocytes.
* Dyall, R. and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1995. The majority of post-selection CD4+ single-positive thymocytes require the thymus to produce long-lived,functional T cells. J. Exp. Med. 181:235.
* Chu, J.L., P. Ramos, A. Rosendorff, J. Nikolic-Zugic, E. Lacy and K.B. Elkon. 1995. Massive upregulation of the Fas ligand in lpr and gld mice : Implications for Fas regulation and the GVHD-like wasting syndrome. J.Exp. Med. 181:393.
* Dyall, R., L.V. Vasovic, A. Molano and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1995. CD4-independent priming of murine CTLs by optimal MHC class I - restricted peptides in vivo. Int. Immunol. 7:1205.
* Onel, K.B., C.L. Tucek-Szabo, D. Ashany, E. Lacy, J. Nikolic-Zugic and K.B. Elkon. 1995. Expression and function of the murine CD95/FasR/APO-1 receptor in relation to B cell tolerance. Eur. J. Immunol. 25:2940.
* Ashany, D., X. Song, E. Lacy, J. Nikolic-Zugic, S.M. Friedman and K.B. Elkon.1995. Th1 CD4+ lymphocytes delete activated macrophages through the Fas/Apo-1 antigen pathway. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:11225.
* Tucek-Szabo, C.L., S. Andjelic, E. Lacy, K.B. Elkon and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1996. Surface T cell FasR/CD95 regulation, in vivo expression and apoptosis : evidence for FasR-dependent and FasR-independent pathways. J. Immunol. 156:192.
* Dyall, R., D.H. Fremont, S.C. Jameson and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1996. T Cell Receptor (TCR) Recognition of MHC Class I Variants: Intermolecular Second-site Reversion Provides Evidence for Peptide/MHC Conformational Variation. J. Exp. Med. 184:253.
* Vasovic, L.V., R. Dyall and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1997. Synergy between an antibody and CD8+ cells in eliminating an established tumor. Eur. J. Immunol. 27:372, 1997.
* Andjelic, S., A. Khanna, M. Suthanthiran and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1997. Intracellular Ca++ elevation and cyclosporin A (CsA) synergistically induce transforming growth factor b1 (TGFb1)-mediated apoptosis in lymphocytes. J. Immunol. 158:2527.
* Ivanov, V.N. and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1997. Transcription factor induction during signal-induced apoptosis of immature CD8+4+ thymocytes: a protective role of c-Fos. J. Biol. Chem. 272:8558.
* Ross, H.M., L.W. Weber, S. Wang, G. Piskun, R. Dyall, Y. Takechi, J. Nikolic-Zugic, A.N. Houghton and J.J. Lewis. 1997. Priming for T cell-mediated rejection of established tumors by cutaneous DNA immunization. Clin. Cancer Res. 3:2169.
* Huard, R.C., R. Dyall and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1997. The critical role of a solvent-exposed residue of an MHC class I-restricted peptide in MHC:peptide binding. Int. Immunol. 9:1701.
* LeMaoult, J., S. Delassus, R. Dyall, J. Nikolic-Zugic, P. Kourilsky and M.E. Weksler. 1997. Clonal expansions of B lymphocytes in old mice. J.Immunol. 159:3866.
* Molano, A., H. Erdjument-Bromage, D.H. Fremont, I. Messaoudi, P. Tempst and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1998. Peptide selection by an MHC H-2Kb class I molecule devoid of a central anchor ("C") pocket. J. Immunol. 160:2815.
* Ivanov, V.N. and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1998. Biochemical and kinetic characterization of the glucocorticoid-induced apoptosis of immature CD8+4+ thymocytes. Int. Immunol. 10:1807.
* Dyall, R., W.B. Bowne, L.W. Weber, J. LeMaoult, P. Szabo, Y. Moroi, G. Piskun, J.J. Lewis, A.N. Houghton and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1998. Heteroclitic vaccination induces tumor immunity. J. Exp. Med. 188:1553.
* Dyall, R., L.V. Vasovic, R. A. Clynes, and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1999. Cellular requirements for the monoclonal antibody-mediated eradication of an established solid tumor. Eur. J. Immunol. 29:30.
* LeMaoult, J., J.S. Manavalan, R. Dyall, P. Szabo, J. Nikolic-Zugic and M.E. Weksler. 1999. Cellular basis of B cell clonal populations in old mice. J. Immunol.162:6401.
* Messaoudi, I., J. LeMaoult and J.Nikolic-Zugic. 1999. The mode of ligand recognition by two peptide:MHC class I complex-specific monoclonal antibodies. J. Immunol. 163:3286.
* Lacorazza, H.D., J.A. Guevara Patino, M. E. Weksler D. Radu and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 1999. Failure of rearranged TCR transgenes to prevent age-associated thymic involution. J. Immunol. 163:4262.
* Lilic, M., K. Kulig, I. Messaoudi, K. Remus, M. Jankovic, J. Nikolic-Zugic and S. Vukmanovic. 1999. CD8+ T cell cytolytic activity independent of mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular regulatory kinase signaling. Eur. J. Immunol. 29:3971.
* Guevara Patino, J.A., V.N. Ivanov, K.B. Elkon, E. Lacy, M.W. Marino and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 2000. TNF-a is the critical mediator of cAMP-mediated apoptosis of CD8+4+ double-positive (DP) thymocytes . J. Immunol. 164:1689
* Dyall, R. , I. Messaoudi, S. Janetzki and J. Nikolic-Zugic. 2000. MHC polymorphism can enrich the T-cell repertoire of the species by shifts in intrathymic selection. J. Immunol. 164:1695.
* Guevara Patino, J.A., M. W. Marino, V.N. Ivanov, and J. Nikolich-Zugich. 2000. Sex steroids induce apoptosis of CD8+4+ double-positive thymocytes via TNFa . Eur. J. Immunol. 30:2586.
* LeMaoult, J., I. Messaoudi, J.S. Manavalan, H. Potvin, D. Nikolich-Zugich, R. Dyall, M.E. Weksler and J. Nikolich-Zugich. 2000. Age-related dysregulation in CD8 T cell homeostasis : kinetics of a diversity loss. J. Immunol. 165:2367.
* Lacorraza, H.D., C. L. Tucek-Szabo, L. V. Vasovic, K. Remus and J. Nikolich-Zugich. 2001. Premature TCRab expression and signaling in pre-thymocytes impairs thymocyte expansion and partially blocks their development. J. Immunol. 166:3184.
* Messaoudi, I., J. LeMaoult ,B. Metzner, M.J. Miley, D.H. Fremont and J. Nikolich-Zugich. 2001. Functional evidence that conserved T cell receptor CDR3a loop docking governs the crossrecognition of closely related peptide:class I complexes. J. Immunol. 167:836.
* Lacorazza, H.D., H.E. Porritt and J. Nikolich-Zugich. 2001. Dysregulated expression of pre-Ta reveals the opposite effects of pre-TCR at successive stages of T cell development. J. Immunol. 167:5689.
* Aifantis, I., K. Borowski, F. Gounari, H.D. Lacorazza, J. Nikolich-?ugich and H. von Boehmer. 2002. A critical role of the cytoplasmic tail of pre-TCR? in the T-lymphocyte development. Nat. Immunol. 3:483.
* Jankovi?, V., K. Remus, A. Molano, and J. Nikolich-?ugich. 2002 T cell recognition of an engineered MHC class I molecule : Implications for peptide-independent alloreactivity J. Immunol. 169:1887.
* Messaoudi, I., J.A. Guevara Patino, R. Dyall, J. LeMaoult, and J. Nikolich-?ugich. 2002. Direct link between mhc polymorphism, T-cell avidity and diversity
in immune defense. Science 298:1797.
* Jankovi?, V., I. Messaoudi and J. Nikolich-?ugich. 2003. Phenotypic and functional T-cell aging in Rhesus Macaques (Macaca mulatta) : differential behavior of CD4 and CD8 subsets. Blood 102:3244.
* Nikolich-?ugich, J., M.K. Slifka and I. Messaoudi. 2004. The many important facets of T-cell repertoire diversity. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 4:123.
* Nikolich-?ugich, J., D.H. Fremont, M.J. Miley and I. Messaoudi. 2004. The role of MHC polymorphism in anti-microbial resistance. Microbes Infection 6:501.
* Lacorraza, H.D., and J. Nikolich-?ugich. 2004. Exclusion and Inclusion of TCR? Proteins during T-cell development in TCR-transgenic and normal mice. J. Immunol. 173:5591.
* Messaoudi, I., J. LeMaoult, J.A. Guevara Patino, B. Metzner, J. Nikolich - ?ugich. 2004. Age-related CD8+ T-cell clonal expansions (TCE) constrict T-cell repertoire and have the potential to impair immune defense J. Exp. Med. 200:1347.
* Miley, M.J., I. Messaoudi, B.M. Metzner, Y. Wu, J. Nikolich-?ugich and D.H Fremont. 2004. Structural basis for the restoration of TCR recognition of an MHC allelic variant by peptide secondary anchor substitution. J. Exp. Med. 200:1445.
* McAllister, S., I. Messaoudi, S. Hansen, J. Nikolich-?ugich and A.V. Moses. 2005. Increased efficiency of phorbol ester-induced lytic reactivativation of Kaposi¹s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus during S-phase. J. Virol. 79:2626.
* Lang, A. and J. Nikolich-?ugich. 2005. Development and migration of protective CD8+ T-cells into the nervous system following ocular HSV-1 infection. J. Immunol. 174:2919.
Update March 8, 2006
OHSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution.
© 2001-2006, Oregon Health & Science University
OHSU Notice of Privacy Practices