CORPORA from CSLU: Apple words and phrases.
OHSU # 0681-C
The Apple Words and Phrases corpus was developed with support from Apple Computer, Inc., who also supplied the list of words and phrases to be collected. This telephone speech corpus contains about 69.5 hours of speech. 998 calls were collected on an analog system and 2010 calls were collected on a digital system. Each caller repeated a list of phrases as they were prompted. The phrases were command and control type phrases, e.g. "help".
Each subject called the CSLU data collection system by dialing a toll-free number.
The analog data were collected via a Worldport Pod on an Apple Quadra A/V. The digital data were collected with the CSLU T1 digital data collection system.
Subjects calling the analog system were employees of Apple Computer, Inc. and were solicited through interoffice email within the company. Subjects calling the digital system were responding to USEnet postings or newspaper advertisements placed in papers in several cities across the United States.
Each recorded utterance was listened to by a human verifier to determine if the speaker adequately followed the directions. If an utterance contained extraneous words or excessive noise, it was not included in the corpus.
This corpus is described in "Corpus development activities at the Center for Spoken Language Understanding" (check CSLU's publication page).
The Center for Spoken Language Understanding (CSLU) distributes corpora to commercial entities and academic institutions for a fee. Commercial entities can use these corpora for research but also for creating commercial products such as generating acoustic models for speech recognition.
To place your order:
1. Click on the type of license you wish to order: Academic or non-profit entity or Commercial entity.
2. Terms of the license agreement can be viewed by clicking on the word "terms".
3. You agree to the terms of the license agreement when you click on "Add to Order" and proceed to the next screen.
4. If information on the "Order Contents" screen is correct, press "Check out".
5. On the next screen, a brief "Intended Use" is required. For "Recipient Scientist Information" enter the appropriate information for yourself or if you are placing the order for another person enter that information. We will use this information should we have questions about the order, payment or shipping address.
6. Once your payment has been received and verified by OHSU, your order will be approved by Technology Transfer & Business Development and then the DVD will be sent out by the Center for Spoken Language Understanding by FedEx within 5-10 business days.
For demos and more information, visit the CSLU Corpora website at:
- CSLU, SOM CSLU
For more information, contact:
Technology Development Manager