Sponsored Projects Administration  

  Training Grants & Fellowships
(NRSA - National Research Service Awards)

The National Institutes of Health awards “The Kirschstein-NRSA program helps ensure that a diverse pool of highly trained scientists is available in adequate numbers and in appropriate research areas to carry out the Nation’s biomedical and behavioral research agenda.” These awards are designed to offer a training experience designed to get postdoctoral and predoctoral students interested in a career in research, while offering options for tuition or loan repayment assistance.

Training Grants and Fellowships are known as T and F awards because the activity type assigned by the NIH begins with a T or an F. Training Grants are awarded to OHSU for a predefined program. Fellowships are for an individual training experience

SPA has put together a series of slide shows to outline the basic post award management of NRSA Awards:

Xtrain (Required for all Training Grants)

XTrain, accessed by way of the NIH eRA Commons, is now required for managing the submission of statements of appointment, payback agreements, and termination notices for Training Grants and K Awards. It is also required for Fellowship termination notices. Principle Investigators, Trainees, Sponsors, Fellows, Delegates, Administrators, and anyone who plays a part in managing a training grant will now need a Commons user login to use the xTrain module.

Get familiar with the use of xTrain and OHSU’s processes by following the first link below, xTrain Basics. Detailed instructions covering account set-up, and submission of appointments, and termination notices can be found NIH’s most recent version of xTrain for Institution Users. Additional guidance and information is available by way of the NIH General Reference below.

For additional assistance with xTrain, please contact the RDA Education Coordinator.


Stipends are issued to an individual under a fellowship or training grant to provide for the individual’s living expenses during the period of training. A stipend is not considered compensation for the services expected of an employee. Stipends should not be confused with Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) support which is compensation for services provided.

Since fellows cannot have an employer-employee relationship with OHSU, their stipends must be issued via Accounts Payable. A Scheduled Disbursements Memo must be issued with each annual appointment. A Residency Status Form must be submitted with the initial setup. Forms, instructions, including signing up for direct deposit can be found on the Accounts Payable Forms Page. NIH Stipend Levels are on the RGC webpage .

Health Insurance

Postdoctoral trainees are required to maintain the same minimum health care coverage as OHSU employees. Information regarding postdoctoral health insurance can be found at: http://www.ohsu.edu/research/rda/postdocs/infofaculty.shtml#benefits and http://ozone.ohsu.edu/hr/benefits/index.shtml.

Predoctoral trainees receive the same health coverage as other students. Information regarding predoctoral health insurance coverage can be found at: http://www.ohsu.edu/academic/acad/health/.

Tuition and Fees

Predoctoral trainees receive funding for tuition and fees. In rare instances, tuition and fees may be awarded for a postdoctoral trainee. The NIH currently awards up to $16,000 per year per trainee.

For the 2010 school year, SOM requires that the department pay a minimum amount per student which includes the full cost of health insurance and fees, plus $2000 of tuition for each postdoctoral trainee and graduate research assistant. The minimum tuition that can be charged per student per term is $500. However, NRSA fellows can be charged additional tuition not to exceed a total of $16,000 per year for tuition and fees to the grant. Contact the Bursars’ office for information on charging tuition and fees to your grant.

The International Fee associated with international student fee schedules is included in the F&A rate and therefore, cannot be directly charged to a grant and must be charged to a department account.

Information on tuition and fees as well as the current rate schedules can be found at: http://www.ohsu.edu/registrar/

New Trainees

While Trainees are not employees, much of the same paperwork is required to be submitted so employees can obtain identification cards, network access, etc. This information, applicable to both predoctoral and postdoctoral trainees, can be found at: http://ozone.ohsu.edu/hr/managers/index.shtml.

If a Postdoctoral Trainee is new to OHSU, a New Hire PA must be submitted to set the fellow up in HR. If a current OHSU fellow is moving on to or off of a fellowship or training grant, a Job Change PA must be submitted to change their job classification. PA forms can be found at: http://ozone.ohsu.edu/hr/records/records.shtml. An example of how to complete the job change in HR Express can be found by clicking here.

Predoctoral trainees may need a HR Non-OHSU Employee ID Number in order to submit some grant applications and will need a HR Non-OHSU Employee ID Number and a Provider Code if they receive a NRSA fellowship. An ID number can be obtained by completing the following online form: https://www.ohsu.edu/research/rda/eid_request.php. A Provider Code can be obtained by submitting the G/L Account Segment Enable & Disable Form, located on CFS’ webpage under the COA Enabling link at: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/services/financial-services/forms/forms-policies.cfm#CP_JUMP_122728.

OHSU Research Compliance Paperwork

Like others in Research, each Trainee must submit compliance paperwork annually and when training begins. Links to OHSU’s compliance groups are listed below:

Federal Resources

The NIH has a wealth of information regarding NRSA awards. Additional information can be found at the following links:

Statement of Appointments, Termination Notices and Applications must now be processed electronically. See details at the NIH Forms page.

Last modified on 11/2/2011 by spaweb@ohsu.edu