Prospective Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial of SimvaSTATin in the Prevention of COPD Exacerbations (STATCOPE)
The purpose of this study is to see if simvastatin might help reduce symptoms in people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
1. Male and female subjects, 40-80 years of age
2. Clinical diagnosis of moderate COPD without chronic symptoms (i.e., cough, sputum production).
3. Cigarette consumption of 10 pack-years or more. Participants may or may not be active smokers.
4. each subject must meet one or more of the following 4 conditions
- Be using supplemental O2. or will have a history of
- Receiving a course of systemic corticosteroids and/or antibiotics for respiratory problems in the past year,
- Visiting an Emergency Department for a COPD exacerbation within the past year, or
- Being hospitalized for a COPD exacerbation within the past year
5. Willingness to make return visits and availability by telephone for duration of study.
6. Free of cardiovascular disease that requires active diagnostic testing or medical or surgical treatment
7. Participant with life expectancy > 36 months
40 - 80
Healthy Volunteers Needed
Duration of Participation
Up to 36 months.
Research Assistant II
Pulmonary Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
Subjects may be compensated up to $260 dollars for their participation. Subjects will receive $20 for the first visit, $30 for the second visit, and $50 for the third visit. Subjects will receive $40 dollars per visit for the 3, 6, 9, and 12 month visits. Subjects will not receive payment for visits made after the 12 months visit. If Subjects leave the study before it is complete, they will receive pro-rated payment for the study visits they have completed.