Special focus on
- Atopic Dermatitis (eczema)
- General Dermatology
- Mole Mapping
- Skin Cancers
- B.S.N., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon 1985
- F.N.P., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon 2004
As a family nurse care practitioner, Susan cares for patients with skin cancers, including melanoma. She provides complete melanoma evaluation and treatment, as well as melanoma education, counseling and prevention. She has special interests in atopic dermatitis (eczema), inflammatory skin diseases and is actively involved in clinical research studies within the dermatology department.
She works in close collaboration with the entire melanoma care team to make sure patients come first and are seen on a timely basis. The team includes specialists from throughout OHSU, including dermatology, genetic counseling, medical, radiation and surgical oncology, nutrition, ophthalmology, social services and plastic surgery. This group meets frequently to discuss and develop individualized treatment plans.
With more than 20 years of clinical research and patient care in dermatology, Susan is a frequent national and international lecturer and has more than 20 professional publications to her name. She is active on many boards, committees and national organizations. She has been on the Dermatology Nurses’ Association board of directors, and held the role of president from 2007-2008. She is a past chair of the Nurse Practitioner Society of the Dermatology Nurses’ Association and sits on the board of directors for the National Eczema Association for Science and Education. She has served on the editorial board of the Journal of the Dermatology Nurses’ Association.
An army of volunteers join the War on Melanoma to support research
Memberships and associations
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
- Dermatology Nurses’ Association
- National Eczema Association for Science & Education
- Northwest Oregon Chapter of Dermatology Nurses’ Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society for Nurses, Beta Psi Chapter