Dr. Anger focuses on developing prevention programs for people who work in high-hazard industries and testing the effectiveness of those programs. He also identifies and characterizes exposures that damage the nervous system with behavioral tests. These are programs and tests that can be applied in broad situations. That is, they scale.
The prevention programs generally are delivered through technology, such as computer-based training based on behavioral education principles and reinforced by practice through apps. In addition, scripted training delivered in small teams, self-monitoring and various forms of practice on paper-based forms.
The training and testing is designed to be effective with adults of all levels of education, including none. Dr. Anger has active research underway in several industry sectors, including agriculture, construction, and transportation; populations of interest include those from minority-culture, veterans and members of the military.
Areas of interest
- Total Worker Health
- Violence Prevention
- Workforce Retention
- Pesticide Exposures
- B.A., Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches Texas 1964
- M.A., University of Wyoming, Laramie Wyoming 1965
- Ph.D., University of Maine, Orono Maine 1974
Honors and awards
- Apple Distinguished Educator (~43 in higher education selected by Apple Computer) (2000)
- Safety and Health at Work (best article in issue; December, 2010)
- OHSU VP for Research Special Category Award [1 of 3 people for admin of CROET] (2012)
- OHSU Senate Affiliated Units Collaboration Award (2014)
- Oregon Public Health Institute Genius Nominee (2014)
- Oregon Governor’s Occupational Safety and Health (GOSH) Conference Safety and Health Advocate Team Award (for the Oregon Healthy Workforce Center) (2017)
Memberships and associations
- Association for Behavior Analysis, 1976
- Behavioral Toxicology Society, 1982 (President, 1986-88**; Trustee, 1988-93) (**elected office)
- American Psychological Association, 1985
- International Commission on Occupational Health, 1986 (Member, Neurotox. Cte, 1991
- International Neurotoxicology Association, 1986 ; Cte. Chair, 2012-15**) (**elected office)
Glass N, Perrin N, Hanson G, Laharnar N, Moss H, Weinstein M, Campbell J, Anger WK. Computer-based Training (CBT) Intervention Reduces Workplace Violence and Harassment for Homecare Workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 2017, 60:635-643, DOI: 10.1002/ajim.22728.
Olson R, Wipfli B, Thompson SV, Elliot DL, Anger WK, Bodner T, Hammer LB, Perrin NA. Weight Control Intervention for Truck Drivers: The SHIFT Randomized Controlled Trial, United States. American Journal of Public Health, 2016, 106(9): 1698-706. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2016.303262.
Glass N, Hanson, GC, Laharnar N, Anger WK, Perrin N. Interactive training improves workplace climate, knowledge, and support towards domestic violence: Training improves workplace climate towards DV. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 2016, 59: 538-548. DOI: 10.1002/ajim.22601.
Anger WK, Elliot DL, Bodner T, Olson R, Rohlman DS, Truxillo DM, Kuehl KS, Hammer LB, Montgomery D. Effectiveness of Total Worker Health Interventions. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 2015, Vol. 20, No. 2, 226–247. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0038340.
Laharnar N, Perrin N, Hanson G, Glass N, Anger WK. A Training Intervention for Supervisors to Support Implementation of a Work-Family Policy. Safety and Health at Work, 2013, 4 (3) 166-176. doi: 10.1016/j.shaw.2013.07.001
Lein PJ, Bonner MR, Farahat FM, Olson JR, Rohlman DS, Fenske RF, Lattal KM, Lasarev MR, Galvin K, Farahat TM, Anger WK. Experimental strategy for translational studies of organophosphorus pesticide neurotoxicity based on real-world occupational exposures to chlorpyrifos. NeuroToxicology, 2012, 33: 660-668. doi.org/10.1016/j.neuro.2011.12.017.
Hammer LB, Kossek EE, Anger WK, Bodner T, Zimmerman KL. Clarifying Work-Family Intervention Processes: The roles of work-family conflict and family supportive supervisor behaviors. Journal of Applied Psychology, 2011, 96: 134-150. doi: 10.1037/a0020927
Rohlman DS, Anger WK, Lein PJ. Correlating neurobehavioral performance with biomarkers of organophosphorus pesticide exposures. Neurotoxicology, 2011, 32: 268-276. doi: 10.1016/j.neuro.2010.12.008.
Farahat FM, Fenske RA, Olson JR, Galvin K, Bonner MR, Rohlman DS, Farahat TM, Lein PJ, Anger WK. Chlorpyrifos exposures in Egyptian cotton field workers. NeuroToxicology 2010, 31: 297-304.
Anger WK, Patterson L, Fuchs M, Leal, WL, Rohlman DS. Learning and recall of Worker Protection Standard (WPS) training in vineyard workers. Journal of Agromedicine 2009, 14:336