Virginia Tilden, Ph.D., R.N., F.A.A.N. is Professor and Senior Associate Dean for Research in the School of Nursing at OHSU. She earned her undergraduate degree in nursing from Georgetown University, and her master's and PhD degrees in nursing from the University of California San Francisco. Her postdoctoral certificate in Clinical Bioethics is from the School of Medicine at the University of Washington. She has a long track record of clinical research on improving end-of-life care and treatment decision-making for terminally ill patients. She has been PI of one NIH R03 and three NIH R01-funded research studies (and co-investigator of others), and is the author or co-author of 105 scholarly publications, primarily focused on her program of research on improving end-of-life care. In addition, she has successfully initiated interprofessional education programs over the last two decades in multiple roles as faculty, program director, and dean. As Dean of the College of Nursing at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (2003-2011), she was instrumental in bringing the University into the national Health Professions Education Collaborative (HPEC). In 2010 she authored an invitational paper for the IOM on the future of nursing education in which she emphasized interprofessional education. To accelerate the national agenda on collaborative care, in the past five years she has served on national advisory committees to advance team-based care, care transitions, primary care transformation, the role of the RN in primary care, and teaching in patient centered medical homes. This service has been to the American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation;American College of Physicians;Primary Care Progress;Society for General Internal Medicine;and the VA's National Centers of Excellence in Primary Care Education. At OHSU, she has been a member of the Interprofessional Initiative Advisory Council since its inception in 2013. She is the lead author of a measure of teamness in clinical teams as they role model interprofessional competencies to IPE student groups.
- M.S., University of California San Francisco, San Francisco California 1971
- B.S.N., Georgetown Univ. Washington D.C. 1967
- Ph.D., University of California San Francisco, San Francisco California 1981
- Certificate in Clinical Bioethics 1989 University of Washington
Honors and awards
- Fellow, Western Academy of Nurses
- Suzanne H. Brouse Lectureship, University of Michigan School of Nursing
- Leading the Way Award, Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Rebecca Sealy Distinguished Lecturer, University of Texas Medical Branch-Galveston School of Nursing
- 27th Helen Nahm Research Lecturer, University of California San Francisco School of Nursing
- Featured in Nursing Research: Committed to the Public Trust (video by NINR)
- Pathfinder Distinguished Researcher Award, Friends of the NINR
- 19th Annual LaVerne Gallman Lecturer, University of Texas-Austin School of Nursing
- 5th Annual Lola Fehr Lecturer, University of Colorado School of Nursing
- Distinguished Faculty Award for Research, Oregon Health & Science University
- Distinguished Research Lectureship Award, Western Institute of Nursing
- Nursing Research Award, Oregon Nurses Association
- Youmans Spaulding Distinguished Professorship, Oregon Health & Science University School of Nursing
- Archon Award, Sigma Theta Tau International
- The John F. McCreary Lecturer, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of British Columbia
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of California, San Francisco School of Nursing
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award, Oregon Health & Science University School of Nursing
- Marquam Hill Lecturer, Oregon Health & Science University
- The President's Excellence in Teaching Award, Oregon Health &Science University
- Nurse of the Year Award, Georgetown University School of Nursing
- Teaching Faculty for the Interprofessional Education program, 2013-2016
Mladenovic, J. & Tilden, V.P. Strategies for overcoming barriers to IPE at a health sciences university (2017). Journal of Interprofessional Education and Practice, 8, 10-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.xjep.2017.05.002
- "Strategies for overcoming barriers to IPE at a health sciences university." Journal of Interprofessional Education and Practice In: , Vol. 8, 01.09.2017, p. 10-13.
- "Development of the assessment for collaborative environments (ACE-15) : A tool to measure perceptions of interprofessional “teamness”." Journal of Interprofessional Care In: , 31.03.2016, p. 1-7.
- "Nursing's perspective on the national campaign for choosing wisely." Nursing Outlook In: , Vol. 61, No. 6, 11.2013, p. 471-472.
- "There is no "i" in teamwork in the patient- Centered medical home : Defining teamwork competencies for academic practice." Academic Medicine In: , Vol. 88, No. 5, 05.2013, p. 585-592.
- "Sampling Challenges in Nursing Home Research." Journal of the American Medical Directors Association In: , Vol. 14, No. 1, 01.2013, p. 25-28.
- "Advance care planning as an urgent public health concern." Nursing Outlook In: , Vol. 60, No. 6, 11.2012, p. 417.
- "Advance care planning as an urgent public health concern." Nursing Outlook In: , Vol. 60, No. 6, 11.2012, p. 418-419.
- "Interprofessional education : The tides of change redux." Nursing Outlook In: , Vol. 60, No. 4, 07.2012, p. 167-169.
- "Quality of care and quality of dying in nursing homes : Two measurement models." Journal of Palliative Medicine In: , Vol. 15, No. 6, 01.06.2012, p. 690-695.
- "End-of-life care in nursing homes : The high cost of staff turnover." Nursing Economics In: , Vol. 30, No. 3, 05.2012, p. 163-166.
- "The tides of change : Are we ready for interprofessional collaboration?" Nursing Outlook In: , Vol. 59, No. 3, 05.2011, p. 107-108.
- "A measure of palliative care in nursing homes." Journal of Pain and Symptom Management In: , Vol. 41, No. 1, 01.2011, p. 57-67.
- "Advance care planning as an urgent public health concern." Nursing Outlook In: , Vol. 59, No. 1, 01.2011, p. 55-56.
- "Policy Issues in End-of-Life Care." Journal of Professional Nursing In: , Vol. 25, No. 6, 11.2009, p. 363-368.
- "Embracing quality and safety education for the 21st century : Building interprofessional education." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 48, No. 12, 2009, p. 698-701.
- "Virginia Tilden : interviewed by Anne Davis." Nursing Ethics In: , Vol. 15, No. 3, 05.2008, p. 411-418.
- "Symptom Experiences of Residents Dying in Assisted Living." Journal of the American Medical Directors Association In: , Vol. 7, No. 4, 05.2006, p. 219-223.
- "Men as caregivers at the end of life." Journal of Palliative Medicine In: , Vol. 8, No. 6, 12.2005, p. 1167-1175.
- "Building high-impact science : The dean as innovator." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 43, No. 11, 11.2004, p. 502-505.
- "Complementary and alternative therapy use at end-of-life in community settings." Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine In: , Vol. 10, No. 5, 10.2004, p. 811-817.
- "Increased family reports of pain or distress in dying Oregonians : 1996 to 2002." Journal of Palliative Medicine In: , Vol. 7, No. 3, 06.2004, p. 431-442.
- "Characteristics and proportion of dying Oregonians who personally consider physician-assisted suicide." Journal of Clinical Ethics In: , Vol. 15, No. 2, 06.2004, p. 111-118.
- "Out-of-Hospital Death : Advance Care Planning, Decedent Symptoms, and Caregiver Burden." Journal of the American Geriatrics Society In: , Vol. 52, No. 4, 04.2004, p. 532-539.
- "Family perceptions of worry, symptoms, and suffering in the dying." Journal of Palliative Care In: , Vol. 20, No. 1, 03.2004, p. 20-27.
- "Trends in Opioid Use over Time : 1997 to 1999." Journal of Palliative Medicine In: , Vol. 7, No. 1, 02.2004, p. 39-45.
- "Life support withdrawal : Communication and conflict." American Journal of Critical Care In: , Vol. 12, No. 6, 11.2003, p. 548-555.
- "The impact of nursing science : a litmus test." Nursing Research In: , Vol. 52, No. 5, 09.2003, p. 275.
- "Measurement of quality of care and quality of life at the end of life." Gerontologist In: , Vol. 42, No. SPEC. ISS. 3, 10.2002, p. 71-80.
- "Peer review : evidence-based or sacred cow?" Nursing Research In: , Vol. 51, No. 5, 09.2002, p. 275.
- "Sampling challenges in end-of-life research : Case-finding for family informants." Nursing Research In: , Vol. 51, No. 1, 01.2002, p. 66-69.