Dr. Vassiliki "Liana" Tsikitis was appointed Assistant Professor of Surgery in the Division of Surgical Oncology at the University of Arizona College of Medicine and University Physicians Healthcare in November 2008. She joined the Division of Gastrointestinal and General Surgery at OHSU in September of 2011. During her tenure, she completed her Masters in Clinic Research (MCR) in 2013, and was promoted to Associate Professor of Surgery in 2014.
During her medical school, residency, fellowship, and her junior faculty years, Dr. Tsikitis won numerous awards in research, patient care, and teaching, including Outstanding Intern and Outstanding Resident awards, as well as Outstanding Role Model in Surgery. Institutionally, she is the Cancer Liaison Physician for the Commission on Cancer, and is sought after, both institutionally and locally to lecture on colon and rectal cancer, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).Read more
Areas of interest
- Colorectal cancer genetics
- M.D., Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia Pennsylvania 2000
- M.C.R., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon 2013
- General Surgery, Warren Alpert School of Medicine, Brown University, Providence, RI, 2000-2007
- Colon-Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education, Rochester, MN, 2007-2008
- American Board of Surgery (2007, 2016)
- American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery (2008, 2017)
Honors and awards
- 2017, American College of Surgeons/American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Health Policy Scholarship recipient: “Leadership Program in Health Policy and Management”
- 2017, Top Doctors, Portland Monthly Magazine
- 2013, Department of Surgery Service Excellence Award, Oregon Health & Science University
- 2010, The Charles F. Zukoski Award for Outstanding Role Model in Surgery, University of Arizona
Memberships and associations
- Association for Academic Surgeons, Finance Committee
- Alpha Omega Alpha Society
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- Association for Academic Surgery
- European Society of Coloproctology
- International Society of Digestive Surgeons
- International Society of Surgeons
- Pacific Coast Surgical Association
- Priestley Society of Mayo Clinic, Council Board
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, Research Committee
- Southwest Oncology Group
- "Travel distance influences readmissions in colorectal cancer patients—what the primary operative team needs to know." Journal of Surgical Research In: , Vol. 227, 01.07.2018, p. 220-227.
- "Colorectal polyposis and inherited colorectal cancer syndromes." Annals of Gastroenterology In: , Vol. 31, No. 1, 01.01.2018, p. 24-34.
- "Understanding and Resetting Radiation Sensitivity in Rectal Cancer." Annals of Surgery In: , 24.07.2017.
- "Prognosis of small bowel adenocarcinoma in Crohn's disease compares favourably with de novo small bowel adenocarcinoma." Colorectal Disease In: , Vol. 19, No. 5, 01.05.2017, p. 446-455.
- "Does sex influence publication productivity among colorectal surgeons participating in fellowship training programs?" Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 60, No. 5, 01.05.2017, p. 537-543.
- "Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastasis : Evolving Paradigms and Future Directions." CMGH Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology In: , Vol. 3, No. 2, 01.03.2017, p. 163-173.
- "Perianal Crohn’s disease : Challenges and solutions." Clinical and Experimental Gastroenterology In: , Vol. 10, 08.02.2017, p. 39-46.
- "Seeding of Abdomen with Primary Intracranial Hemangiopericytoma by Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt : Case Report." World Neurosurgery In: , 2017.
- "MicroRNA signatures of colonic polyps on screening and histology." Cancer Prevention Research In: , Vol. 9, No. 12, 01.12.2016, p. 942-949.
- "Endoluminal Therapy in Colorectal Cancer." Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery In: , Vol. 29, No. 3, 01.09.2016, p. 216-220.
- "Variation in the Use of Chemoradiotherapy for Stage II and III Anal Cancer : Analysis of the National Cancer Data Base." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , 21.07.2016, p. 1-7.
- "Treatment and Survival of Small-bowel Adenocarcinoma in the United States : A Comparison with Colon Cancer." Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 59, No. 4, 01.04.2016, p. 306-315.
- "Nomogram for Predicting Overall Survival and Salvage Abdominoperineal Resection for Patients with Anal Cancer." Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 59, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. 1-7.
- "Probiotics in Colorectal Surgery." World Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 39, No. 11, 01.11.2015, p. 2784-2785.
- "HIV positivity and anal cancer outcomes : A single-center experience." American Journal of Surgery In: , 30.10.2015.
- "Psychiatric Illness is a Disparity in the Surgical Management of Rectal Cancer." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , 11.09.2015.
- "Trends in the Surgical Management of Crohn’s Disease." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 19, No. 10, 19.08.2015, p. 1862-1868.
- "Strictureplasty for Treatment of Crohn’s Disease : an ACS-NSQIP Database Analysis." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 19, No. 5, 01.05.2015, p. 905-910.
- "Molecular markers for colon diagnosis, prognosis and targeted therapy." Journal of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 111, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 96-102.
- "Trends in the surgical management of diverticulitis." Annals of Gastroenterology In: , Vol. 28, No. 1, 2015, p. 25-30.
- "Chemoradiotherapy with a radiation boost for anal cancer decreases the risk for salvage abdominoperineal resection : analysis from the national cancer data base." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 21, No. 11, 01.10.2014, p. 3616-3620.
- "Predictors of recurrence free survival for patients with stage II and III colon cancer." BMC Cancer In: , Vol. 14, No. 1, 336, 16.05.2014.
- "Initial surgical management of ulcerative colitis in the biologic era." Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 57, No. 12, 2014, p. 1358-1363.
- "Differential expression of microRNA-320a, -145, and -192 along the continuum of normal mucosa to high-grade dysplastic adenomas of the colorectum." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 207, No. 5, 2014, p. 717-722.
- "Increasing the number of lymph nodes examined after colectomy does not improve colon cancer staging." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 218, No. 5, 2014, p. 1004-1011.
- "Avirtual reality endoscopic simulator augments general surgery resident cancer education as measured by performance improvement." Journal of Cancer Education In: , Vol. 29, No. 2, 2014, p. 333-336.
- "Recent developments in the surgical management of perianal fistula for Crohn’s disease." Annals of Gastroenterology In: , Vol. 27, No. 4, 2014, p. 320-330.
- "Enhanced visibility of colonic neoplasms using formulaic ratio imaging of native fluorescence." Lasers in Surgery and Medicine In: , Vol. 45, No. 9, 11.2013, p. 573-581.
- "Surgeon leadership enables development of a colorectal cancer biorepository." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 205, No. 5, 05.2013, p. 563-565.
- "Stage III & IV colon and rectal cancers share a similar genetic profile : A review of the Oregon Colorectal Cancer Registry." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 205, No. 5, 05.2013, p. 608-612.