Dr. Orloff's clinical interests include benign and malignant liver, gall bladder and bile duct tumors, liver, kidney, and pancreas transplantation, hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery, portal hypertension surgery, organ procurement, hepatocellular carcinoma, cholangiocarcinoma, and benign hepatobiliary diseases.
Dr. Susan L. Orloff is professor of surgery and the director and chief of the Division of Abdominal Transplantation at Oregon Health & Science University. She is also chief of the Liver Transplantation Program at Portland VA Medical Center.
Dr. Orloff received a B.A. in biology, graduating Phi Beta Kappa in her home-town of La Jolla, at the University of California, San Diego. She then received her M.D. degree, graduating AOA, from the University of California, San Francisco in 1984. She started out in a residency at UCSF in internal medicine, but after one year, was bitten by the surgery bug, and was accepted into the general surgery residency at UCSF, completing her residency in 1992. During her general surgery residency, she spent two years in the Gastrointestinal Research Laboratory of Dr. Haile Debas, at that time the chair of surgery, as an awardee of an NIH training grant. She also spent four months in the Department of Surgery Research Laboratory of then chair, Dr. Bernard Jaffe, at SUNY Downstate, where she learned models of small bowel transplantation in rodents and dogs. After her general surgery residency, she went on to do a fellowship in multiorgan transplantation at UCSF, under the directorship of Dr. Nancy Ascher, completing this in December 1994.
Dr. Susan Orloff joined Oregon Health and Science University in 1995, where she has been actively engaged in research, teaching, multiorgan transplantation and hepatobiliary surgery. As professor of surgery, she holds joint appointments in the Division of Abdominal Transplantation and the Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology. From 2002-2005, Dr. Orloff served as the medical director for the Pacific Northwest Transplant Bank, and she has been the director of basic science research for the OHSU Department of Surgery since 2001.
Dr. Orloff established, and now supervises, a highly productive NIH- and VA merit review-funded laboratory in transplantation biology and immunology where she mentors post-doctoral fellows, Ph.D. graduate students and general surgery residents.
Currently, she has a busy practice in hepatobiliary surgery and multi-organ abdominal transplantation. She is also director of basic science research in the Department of Surgery and, for 12 years, has run an NIH-funded laboratory studying the mechanisms and genomics of CMV accelerated vasculopathy in heart and kidney transplant rodent models. She also has a research interest in the epidemiology, screening, treatments and genomics of hepatocellular carcinoma. She has over 90 peer-reviewed publications and 18 book chapters, and has presented her work locally, nationally and internationally. She serves as a reviewer for 16 journals and is on the editorial board of three.
She is an active member of numerous surgical societies as well as serving on many institutional, regional and national committees, including serving as the American Surgical Association Governor to the American College of Surgeons. She is past president of the Portland Surgical Society, and previous medical director of the Pacific Northwest Transplant Bank.
She currently resides in Portland, Oregon on the lovely Willamette River with her husband Dr. Robert Hart, and their eight-year old son Jackson.
- M.D., University of California Medical Center, San Fransico, San Francisco California USA 1984
- General aurgery, University of California, San Francisco, Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 1986-1992
- Visiting fellow, Department of Surgery, State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, NY 1989
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery, 1993
Memberships and associations
- American Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- "Urgent Liver Transplantation for Dietary Supplements : An Under-Recognized Problem." Transplantation Proceedings In: , Vol. 49, No. 2, 01.03.2017, p. 322-325.
- "Promise & pitfalls of using α-fetoprotein in liver transplantation allocation for hepatocellular carcinoma." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 152, No. 1, 01.01.2017, p. 64-65.
- "Higher Mortality and Survival Benefit in Obese Patients Awaiting Liver Transplantation." Transplantation In: , 29.08.2016.
- "Keeping high model for end-stage liver disease score liver transplantation candidates alive." Liver Transplantation In: , Vol. 21, No. 11, 01.11.2015, p. 1428-1437.
- "The impact of blood transfusions in deceased organ donors on the outcomes of 1,884 renal grafts from United Network for Organ Sharing Region 5." The journal of trauma and acute care surgery In: , Vol. 79, No. 4, 01.10.2015, p. S164-S170.
- "An alternative technique for harvesting marginal liver grafts with a replaced or accessory right hepatic artery." World Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 39, No. 7, 05.07.2015, p. 1832-1833.
- "Rat cytomegalovirus vaccine prevents accelerated chronic rejection in CMV-Naïve recipients of infected donor allograft hearts." American Journal of Transplantation In: , Vol. 15, No. 7, 01.07.2015, p. 1805-1816.
- "Management of symptomatic polycystic liver disease with hepatic resection." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 150, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 81-82.
- "Unshuntable extrahepatic portal hypertension revisited : 43 years' experience with radical esophagogastrectomy treatment of bleeding esophagogastric varices." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 207, No. 1, 01.2014, p. 46-52.
- "The international normalized ratio overestimates coagulopathy in patients after major hepatectomy." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 207, No. 5, 2014, p. 723-727.
- "Fluorescence-based laser capture microscopy technology facilitates identification of critical in vivo cytomegalovirus transcriptional programs." Methods in Molecular Biology In: , Vol. 1119, 2014, p. 217-237.
- "Surgical portosystemic shunts in the era of TIPS and liver transplantation are still relevant." HPB In: , Vol. 16, No. 5, 2014, p. 481-493.
- "Safety and Outcomes Following Resection of Colorectal Liver Metastases in the Era of Current Perioperative Chemotherapy." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 17, No. 12, 12.2013, p. 2133-2142.
- "Coagulopathy after a liver resection : Is it over diagnosed and over treated?" HPB In: , Vol. 15, No. 11, 11.2013, p. 865-871.
- "Bile duct involvement portends poor prognosis in resected gallbladder carcinoma." Gastrointestinal Cancer Research In: , Vol. 6, No. 4, 07.2013, p. 101-105.
- "An unusual presentation of altered mental status after orthotopic liver transplantation : Listeria brain abscess." Transplantation In: , Vol. 95, No. 12, 27.06.2013.
- "Commentary : The role of global surgery electives during residency training: Relevance, realities, and regulations." Surgery (United States) In: , Vol. 153, No. 3, 03.2013, p. 327-332.
- "Selection for hepatic resection : Expert consensus conference." HPB In: , Vol. 15, No. 2, 02.2013, p. 104-105.
- "Impact of locoregional therapy and alpha-fetoprotein on outcomes in transplantation for liver cancer : A UNOS Region 6 pooled analysis." Clinical Transplantation In: , Vol. 27, No. 1, 01.2013.
- "Cytomegalovirus CC chemokine promotes immune cell migration." Journal of Virology In: , Vol. 86, No. 21, 11.2012, p. 11833-11844.
- "Child-Turcotte score versus MELD for prognosis in a randomized controlled trial of emergency treatment of bleeding esophageal varices in cirrhosis." Journal of Surgical Research In: , Vol. 178, No. 1, 11.2012, p. 139-146.
- "Disability index in a randomized controlled trial of emergency sclerotherapy versus portacaval shunt for bleeding varices in cirrhosis." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 204, No. 2, 08.2012, p. 157-166.
- "Discussion." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 215, No. 1, 07.2012, p. 28-30.
- "Alcoholic versus nonalcoholic cirrhosis in a randomized controlled trial of emergency therapy of bleeding varices." Journal of Surgical Research In: , Vol. 174, No. 1, 01.05.2012, p. 98-105.
- "A randomized controlled trial of emergency treatment of bleeding esophageal varices in cirrhosis for hepatocellular carcinoma." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 203, No. 2, 02.2012, p. 182-190.
- "Safety and efficacy of preoperative right portal vein embolization in patients at risk for postoperative liver failure following major right hepatectomy." HPB In: , Vol. 14, No. 1, 01.2012, p. 14-19.
- "Budd-Chiari syndrome and venoocclusive disease." Blumgart's Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas. Vol. 2 Elsevier Inc., 2012. p. 1188-1222.
- "The role of cytomegalovirus in angiogenesis." Virus Research In: , Vol. 157, No. 2, 05.2011, p. 204-211.
- "Cytomegalovirus microRNA expression is tissue specific and is associated with persistence." Journal of Virology In: , Vol. 85, No. 1, 01.2011, p. 378-389.
- "Surgical treatment of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma : Outcomes and predictive factors." HPB In: , Vol. 13, No. 1, 01.2011, p. 59-63.